Help! My Satin Ice Has Turned To Goo On The Cake (Photo)!

Decorating By drakegore Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 7:21am by solascakes

drakegore Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 18

i have a buttercream baby shower cake that i have to apply fondant stripes and dots to in the morning. i did a test cake and applied the two darkest colors as i wanted to see if they would bleed and how they would perform in the fridge and then again when introduced into an A/C room (they were just fondant wiggles, no artistry to the pieces i slapped on, lol).
icing is smbc. fondant is satin ice (first time i have ever used...before i used the wilton's because i did not know any better, lol).

when i brought them out of fridge, they looked good and no condensation appeared. after a couple hours i put the test cake on the dining room table under a dome and just left it alone for 24 hours. house is about 68 degrees inside. cake was not in sun. fondant is satin ice.

i just checked it and it is goo on the cake! you can even see where the goo has oozed down onto the platter! is like elmers glue to touch.

why did this happen? how can i avoid it happening on the real cake?

please help asap!

thank you,
diane
LL

17 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #2 of 18

It was probably the dome. Cakes with fondant on them need to breathe. It's better to put them in a bakery box than to seal them up in anything airtight, because in an airtight container the fondant will absorb moisture from the cake and turn to mush.

PinkZiab Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 18

I agree it was most certainly the dome.

BlakesCakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:40pm
post #4 of 18

Absolutely the dome.

You cannot put a fondant covered cake (or a cake with fondant or RI accents) into a sealed environment. The moisture from inside the cake and inside the dome will have nowhere to go and it will soak into the fondant or RI and create goo. This problem, is by no means, the fault of the Satin Ice. It would have happened with any brand of fondant.

Rae

drakegore Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:15am
post #5 of 18

omg, i am so relieved! thank you all for your help!

i really thought maybe i had used to much gel and destroyed the integrity of the fondant or my satin ice had gone bad...turns out i am just a fondant "newbie", lol. i really appreciate the help up on the learning curve and now i can sleep tonight knowing i can finish that cake in the morning without fearing disaster goo icon_biggrin.gif

thanks again!
diane

Loucinda Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:44am
post #6 of 18

I was wondering, can that icing stay out unrefigerated for that amount of time?

ceshell Posted 30 May 2009 , 7:27am
post #7 of 18

When I use a dome on a fondant cake, I prop it up (off the cake plate) in two places to let some air circulate!

Loucinda, I don't think there is a definitive answer as two whether or not MBC's can be left out unrefrigerated. Several CCers swear by it (meaning, they don't refrigerate and have never experienced spoilage). I have read other places that state it must be kept refrigerated. I tend to err on the side of caution so I always refrigerate...but that's just me! The egg whites are cooked ...just like eggs and milk in your CAKE are cooked and can stay out for days upon days. I'm still paranoid though icon_rolleyes.gif.

Momkiksbutt Posted 30 May 2009 , 7:44am
post #8 of 18

Well, three things come to mind reading your post:

First, you should always let your cakes set in the open after fridging them.

Second, putting them under a dome, whether plastic or glass, will cause condensation, making your cake wet and icky.

Third, always let your cake come to room temp before decorating them, but take care not to let them become to warm. You can place them in the fridge for about 10 minutes every so often while decorating, to keep the icing firm.

Once your done decorating, and if there are no fillings requiring refrigeration involved, you can just leave it on the counter. If you choose to fridge it, don't cover it.

Hope that helps! icon_wink.gif

armywifebryan Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:37am
post #9 of 18

I have also had this problem with the Satin Ice, but only when refrigerated (with or without covering). Once refrigerated and then set out to return to room temperature, my fondant always does this. I no longer refrigerate after I have my fondant on. I simply make sure any fillings or frosting used can stay at room temp. until serving time. HTH Good luck!

drakegore Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #10 of 18

well, it all turned out good!
i put on all the fondant decorations yesterday and then popped in in the fridge for overnight...NOT covered. took it out this morning into an A/C room and then into A/C car for delivery. It looked fine, no goo! I hope it stayed that way...

the dark purple didn't bleed either which was a big concern.

thank you again for all the terrific help!

here's the cake:
LL

Rylan Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #11 of 18

Nice design and you did a great job on the edges.

MichelleM77 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:23am
post #12 of 18

So cute! Glad you figured out the problem.

Your cake under the dome reminded me of a terrarium that I made with my gram one summer. You know, you put gravel, dirt, plants in a container (or a cut off pop bottle), spritz it with water, then cover it completely. You create a mini environment where the water evaporates, hits the cover (plastic wrap) and "rains" back down onto your plants...or in your case, cake! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:27am
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I was wondering, can that icing stay out unrefigerated for that amount of time?

I personally have left out SMBC cakes for a day or longer (my cake at my house). I wouldn't do it with a paid order though. I just feel better knowing it's in the fridge after filling and in between decorating until delivery if it's someone who is paying me money for it.

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:32am
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momkiksbutt

Third, always let your cake come to room temp before decorating them, but take care not to let them become to warm. You can place them in the fridge for about 10 minutes every so often while decorating, to keep the icing firm.

I use SMBC exclusively, and I find this statement to go against what I do. I decorate stone cold cakes, almost without exception. It allows you to place deco on and move them if you need, allows for precise placement of ribbon borders without tearing up the icing.

I don't think I would put myself through undue stress trying to decorate a room temp cake iced in SMBC....wow....no way.

ceshell Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:00am
post #15 of 18

Congrats on the cake! It looks fabulous! Now we here at CC have yet another cake that proves the theory: "You CAN refrigerate fondant!" Mind you, I have had some bad experiences (sweating) when refrigerating straight MMF but generally speaking, other fondants are fine to go in the fridge and there are even some MMF recipes that work for refrigeration too. Refrigerate, just don't seal in the moisture!

I agree with Jamie on the room-temp cake thing, at least if covering a cake with fondant; fondant works best for me if the icing is solid. It's also a great way to cover a thickly iced cake with fondant; otherwise the icing just smooshes out when you are trying to smooth the fondant. Just my 2¢!

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:37am
post #16 of 18

ceshell...I love seeing posts from you....your Remy mouse is just too cute for words. Always makes me smile!

ceshell Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:08am
post #17 of 18

icon_redface.gif aw shucks! icon_smile.gif

solascakes Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:21am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

ceshell...I love seeing posts from you....your Remy mouse is just too cute for words. Always makes me smile!

Was about to say the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%