Frosting Cupcake Cakes

Decorating By Shanadi Updated 29 May 2009 , 11:09pm by Rose_N_Crantz

Shanadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanadi Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 8

So I trying to figure out the secret to frosting the cupcakes cakes. My son wants one for his birthday next week and I want to know how you frost all those cupcakes without them moving on you. What is the trick?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
Shanadi

7 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 8

Hi Shanadi

You can use Wilton's 1M tip to do a swirl of icing on top of each cuppie. Or....you could also do a large round tip swirl...Like a 12, 1A or 2A tip. It creates a decorative touch and doesn't take a long time.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 8

I've seen ccc with a dot of icing on the bottom of each cc, or maybe use something like royal icing???

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 8

I put a dab of buttercream under the cupcakes to 'glue' them in place. You also want to place them as close together as possible. I've never had them move around on me while I am icing them.

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 8

I'm so dingy...I musunderstood what you were asking icon_redface.gif . I've never made a cupcake cake but I'm sure you'll find the answer here on CC.

mimimil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mimimil Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 8

i've never made a cupcake cake but would like to know the secret to them not moving on you- is there a tutorial on this??

mimi

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 8

I'm sure there is a how to somewhere, but you really don't have to have one.

Take your cupcakes and line them up in a row on the board. Then you will take the next row of cupcakes and place those between the others and you keep doing this until you have the size/shape you need. This way all the cupcakes are as close as possible together. You can put a dab of icing under them if you want to help keep them from moving.

You can use the cake icer tip or just your spatula and icing to ice the tops of them in thin icing, just like you would a cake. I've done tons of these and haven't ever had to fight to keep the cupcakes in place.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:09pm
post #8 of 8

I've always placed the cupcakes how I want them on the board, then put a dab of BC under just the outer cupcakes. Once the outside ones are anchored, the middle ones won't move. Just seems easier, less time consuming, and less mess too when the cuppies are handed out.

Then to ice the tops, I just use my speed icer to cover the tops and smooth with a spatula/scraper. Easy, but I just don't like how sloppy the edges can get with cupcake cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%