Ribbon B4 Bead Boarder?

Decorating By bethie713 Updated 30 Sep 2009 , 5:48pm by bethie713

bethie713 Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 5

I need some advice from those of you that have applied real ribbon to a wedding cakes before. I've applied clear packaging tape to the back of the ribbon to prevent the oil from the cake icing to seep through the ribbon. Which I think is a great idea! But how do I prevent the oil from bead boarder icing that I'm going to apply at the base of each tier from getting oil on the ribbon? Are you supposed to apply the tape to both the fron and the back of the ribbon? I'm afraid that a shiny sheen would show if I did this. Please help? This is my first wedding cake and I don't want to ruin the bride's ribbon. Thanks!!!

4 replies
aztomcat Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:00am
post #2 of 5

I would only apply the tape to the back. Place the ribbon 1/4 inch or so above the base and fill the difference with your bead border.

If you got a bead mold you could make pearl bead strands from fondant and let them dry a bit before placing on cake. In that case it might work to place on top of the ribbon.

Hope this helps.

Dee in AZ

madgeowens Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:23am
post #3 of 5

I thought I read in here that if you use royal icing on ribbon it will not show oil

sweetcakes Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #4 of 5

just oil the whole ribbon before hand then you wont need the tape on the back and you wont have to worry about the bead border.

bethie713 Posted 30 Sep 2009 , 5:48pm
post #5 of 5

I ended up appying packaging tape to both sides of the ribbon and it turned out beautifully! And yes, if you don't use something between the ribbon and the icing, the oil from the icing does bleed onto the ribbon

Quote by @%username% on %date%