What Do You Use To Brush Over Your Cake To Keep It Moist?

Baking By yummycupcakes Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 11:46am by Cake4ever

yummycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummycupcakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 3

I baked some cupcakes last night and left it out. It was started to get dry and i remember reading about simple syrup being used. But, instead of that, I decided to try out some syrup that is normally used for flavored mocha's. I had a few at home and decided on English Toffee for my Mexican Chocolate cupcakes. It was a little too sweet, so I made some coffee ( I have one of those neat Keurig things). I made a 50/50 mix of syrup with coffee and it tasted better. I brushed it on top of the cupcakes and I have to say, it tastes pretty good. Although next time I won't use "bold" coffee, i'll stick with the medium since i'm not much of a coffee drinker. The cupcake just had a hint of the toffee and coffee flavor.

Does anyone else do this? I'm thinking i'm gonna start looking for syrup that will compliment the cakes instead of using simple syrup.

2 replies
cakelass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelass Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:44am
post #2 of 3

Yes I always add vanilla to my syrup. But I have read you can add essences as well. My mum always adds either orange zest or lemon zest in hers and always just a little lemon juice as she says that the syrup never caramelises that way.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 11:46am
post #3 of 3

I let my cupcakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Then I pull them out and let them rest about 5 more minutes, then cover with plastic wrap until I am ready to ice them. Mine always stay moist.

I have 2 sets of pans, so it's not a problem to have one sitting out while one is baking.

thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%