Cake Carving Help...

Decorating By adree313 Updated 29 May 2009 , 7:45pm by 2girliesmama

adree313 Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:16pm
post #1 of 6

first of all, i'm a newbie, so hi everyone!

okay, so. i've been trying to find a good recipe for carving cakes and i've heard the wasc is good, but i need a chocolate cake. i tried the chocolate variation (subbing the white cake mix with chocolate cake mix and subbing the 8 egg whites with 6 whole eggs) and it just didn't seem dense enough to carve.

i'm very new to carving, i've actually only done one cake that needed carving and even that was very, very little... AND it was about 3 years ago. (it's the little mushroom houses in my pictures) so i don't know much. is there a trick to making this recipe work? i've heard different things about freezing cakes ("you should never do it" or "it makes it a lot easier") so i'm at a loss as to what to do. should i just try a different recipe?

any suggestions would help. thanks!!

5 replies
msulli10 Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 6

The trick is to carve your cakes when the are frozen. I always make WASC or the chocolate version and freeze my cakes after I bake them. They are so much easier to carve then.
If you still have trouble you can use a pound cake recipe (also in chocolate). Good luck.

adree313 Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 6

thank you so much! i'll try it out.

SJ169 Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 6

Hey! Welcome to CC! ...msulli10 is right! freeze before you carve, i made a topsy turvy cake with the WASC chocolate version and it was fine!

chefjess819 Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 6

not opposing anyone here. i've always used a devils food recipe for my chocolate cakes that i carve. it's a richer chocolate that keeps it shape better than a milk choc. will. just my experience with them.

2girliesmama Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 6

Yes!! Freeze before you carve! You can use any chocolate mix for the chocloate wasc. I also like the cake mix dr's chocolate pound or darn good chocolate cake minus the chips!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%