Quick Question; Please Help!

Decorating By Carlymoon Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 6:08am by Annabakescakes

Carlymoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlymoon Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 17

I've got a cake to do tonight and I need to put satin ribbon onto fondant. what's the best way to attach?

16 replies
Lineah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lineah Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 17

I would like to know this as well....bump

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 17

If it going straight on fondant, wrap it around semi taut, and secure the ends with a little BC.

I start in the front of cake, find where I want it to rest and be even, and smooth it out and around to the back of the cake until it is all lined up.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #4 of 17

A thin spread of Piping gel all over the ribbon or a very light (brushed on) line of water. Some suggest well spaced dots of royal icing.

mgwebb68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgwebb68 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 17

I've never done this, but I remembered seeing a previous thread where someone said that a "dab of Royal Icing or Buttercream would be sufficient to hold it on." It was within the last week or so.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 17

I personally wouldn't suggest you use satin ribbon but if you really want to maybe you can overlap the ends of the ribbon and use double sided tape (just at the ends).

__Jamie__ Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #7 of 17

Oh yeah...double sided tape. If you do gel or BC all along the ribbon itself, meaning, other than just at the very ends, it can warp the ribbon, or show spots.

For BC cakes, I use contact paper.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 17

i normally just use a dab of royal icing on the back of the ribbon , only a small amount of wear its going to attach to the cake at the back, i ensure its pulled taught *obivously not TOO tight* stick it down, hold it for a second or two just to make sure its stuck.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:51pm
post #9 of 17

[
For BC cakes, I use contact paper.[/quote]

NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND THIS, IN FACT, I'M SURE I DO NOT. LOL

__Jamie__ Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:40pm
post #10 of 17

You line the back of your ribbon with clean Contact paper. Keeps grease marks off, and gives it a nice stiff shape that won't warp or sag or shift once it is on cake. You trim the excess off of course. Applied to a firmly chilled cake, it is pretty much perfect looking when you apply it right.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:13pm
post #11 of 17

To further explain the 'contact paper' it is what one usually uses to line cupboards. It is a plastic coated paper on one side, sticky on the other.

__Jamie__ Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #12 of 17

Oh yeah...forgot to mention that.

zoraya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoraya Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:22pm
post #13 of 17

I remember reading before that you can iron wax paper onto the back of it so the grease doesn't seep into the ribbon.

I read this after I did a ribbon and I just put it around the cake and used bc to hold ends together.

SweetMelissa2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetMelissa2007 Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:32am
post #14 of 17

I use piping gel on the whole ribbon.

Carlymoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carlymoon Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:44am
post #15 of 17

thanks! I'm going to do it now, I'll post pics later. thanks for the tips! You all are the best!

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:46pm
post #16 of 17

thanks for explaining the contact paper. you all are making me smarter everyday icon_wink.gif

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 6:08am
post #17 of 17

When i use a satin ribbon I hide the greasy marks with....more grease! Spray the whole thing with non stick spray then wipe off excess with paper towel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%