Chocolate Mix With Wasc?

Decorating By sweetsbystacy Updated 30 May 2009 , 6:52pm by sweetsbystacy

sweetsbystacy Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone,

I have a question.....can you use chocolate cake mix with the WASC recipe? I wasn't sure how it would turn out, I have a birthday cake due Sunday and the little girl wants a chocolate cake. I tried making one from scratch but it wasn't quite dense enough for the unicorn I have to make....any suggestions?

Thank you!
Stacy

14 replies
dogwood Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 15

Yes you can use chocolate cake mixes. I do it all the time. The only thing I change is the eggs. I use 6 whole eggs instead 8 egg whites.

sweet_teeth Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 15

The double chocolate layer cake from Epicurious is dense, in my opinion. If you freeze it, it will carve just fine icon_smile.gif

But like the poster above stated, you can use wasc. I would sub. some cocoa for the flour though.

FlourPots Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 15

Here's the version I use:

1 box of chocolate cake mix [Pillsbury's - the one that contains 1 cup of pudding in the mix]
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cups cocoa [Hershey's unsweetened]
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1-1/3 cups coffee [microwave 1-1/3 cups of water for 50 seconds and add 1-1/4 tsp. of instant coffee to it & let cool]
2 Tb. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sour cream
3 lg. eggs

Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and mix for 2 minutes. Pour into greased and floured pans [I use butter and a parchment circle], filling each a little over half full. Bake in a pre-heated 325 deg. oven till it tests done [Mine takes 50 minutes].

kakeladi Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 15

My *original* WASC recipe can be used with *any* flavor cake mix!
It's posted in the recipe section. Just search in the recipe section using: *original* icon_smile.gif

holly4409 Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood

Yes you can use chocolate cake mixes. I do it all the time. The only thing I change is the eggs. I use 6 whole eggs instead 8 egg whites.

I do the same thing. Kakeladi's original is awesome!!! I have done many different flavors with sturdy but moist cakes always.

I have used cakepros chocolate variation on WASC here's the link http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7367-0-AMAZING-Chocolate-WASC-Cake.html

i've used it for my own wedding cake (my mom and i made it) and received SOOO many compliments and also on birthday cakes. i used strong coffee instead of water and instant coffee (and like other posters on other threads have said you can't taste the coffee it just helps the chocolate) and i have done it with different brands of cake mix and they all work well/taste good

emiyeric Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 15

Kakeladi's WASC is the most awesomest thing on Earth icon_wink.gif ... I swear by it, and yes, I've substituted all sorts of flavors in it. Macsmom has a great version of the WASC ... look up the "Help! Gourmet flavors" thread and you'll find all sorts of nice variations. HTH!

Rylan Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:56am
post #8 of 15

I use kakelai's recipe with the chocolate mix. I love it.

Frankyola Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:43am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Kakeladi's WASC is the most awesomest thing on Earth icon_wink.gif ... I swear by it, and yes, I've substituted all sorts of flavors in it. Macsmom has a great version of the WASC ... look up the "Help! Gourmet flavors" thread and you'll find all sorts of nice variations. HTH!

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

mrsclox Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:49am
post #10 of 15

I just did this with Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate mixes. It was super yummy!!

mom2rascals Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 15

Macsmom has all her recipes posted on her signature line in her posts. She has tonnes of WASC variation recipes!

They all look so good. I've tried 3 different flavors of WASC from her recipes, and I gotta say, she really knows what makes a flavorful, moist cake!!

TRY THE CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE FILLING!!! you won't regret it!!

FlourPots Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 15

mom2rascals...would you share which 3 you made and loved.

I saw that amazing list and didn't know where to start, but I need a little variety in my cakes.

mom2rascals Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 15

Orange Dreamsicle, Lemon Cake (MacsMom's version) and Chocolate WASC with the Chocolate Truffle Filling.

I can't wait to try some more of her creations!

FlourPots Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 15

Sounds great, thanks icon_smile.gif .

sweetsbystacy Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #15 of 15

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

You guys are awesome!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%