Chocolate Mix With Wasc?

Decorating By sweetsbystacy Updated 30 May 2009 , 6:52pm by sweetsbystacy

sweetsbystacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone,

I have a question.....can you use chocolate cake mix with the WASC recipe? I wasn't sure how it would turn out, I have a birthday cake due Sunday and the little girl wants a chocolate cake. I tried making one from scratch but it wasn't quite dense enough for the unicorn I have to make....any suggestions?

Thank you!
Stacy

14 replies
dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 15

Yes you can use chocolate cake mixes. I do it all the time. The only thing I change is the eggs. I use 6 whole eggs instead 8 egg whites.

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 15

The double chocolate layer cake from Epicurious is dense, in my opinion. If you freeze it, it will carve just fine icon_smile.gif

But like the poster above stated, you can use wasc. I would sub. some cocoa for the flour though.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 15

Here's the version I use:

1 box of chocolate cake mix [Pillsbury's - the one that contains 1 cup of pudding in the mix]
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cups cocoa [Hershey's unsweetened]
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp. salt
1-1/3 cups coffee [microwave 1-1/3 cups of water for 50 seconds and add 1-1/4 tsp. of instant coffee to it & let cool]
2 Tb. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sour cream
3 lg. eggs

Place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk. Add the remaining ingredients and mix for 2 minutes. Pour into greased and floured pans [I use butter and a parchment circle], filling each a little over half full. Bake in a pre-heated 325 deg. oven till it tests done [Mine takes 50 minutes].

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 15

My *original* WASC recipe can be used with *any* flavor cake mix!
It's posted in the recipe section. Just search in the recipe section using: *original* icon_smile.gif

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:46pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwood

Yes you can use chocolate cake mixes. I do it all the time. The only thing I change is the eggs. I use 6 whole eggs instead 8 egg whites.

I do the same thing. Kakeladi's original is awesome!!! I have done many different flavors with sturdy but moist cakes always.

I have used cakepros chocolate variation on WASC here's the link http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7367-0-AMAZING-Chocolate-WASC-Cake.html

i've used it for my own wedding cake (my mom and i made it) and received SOOO many compliments and also on birthday cakes. i used strong coffee instead of water and instant coffee (and like other posters on other threads have said you can't taste the coffee it just helps the chocolate) and i have done it with different brands of cake mix and they all work well/taste good

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #7 of 15

Kakeladi's WASC is the most awesomest thing on Earth icon_wink.gif ... I swear by it, and yes, I've substituted all sorts of flavors in it. Macsmom has a great version of the WASC ... look up the "Help! Gourmet flavors" thread and you'll find all sorts of nice variations. HTH!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:56am
post #8 of 15

I use kakelai's recipe with the chocolate mix. I love it.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:43am
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by emiyeric

Kakeladi's WASC is the most awesomest thing on Earth icon_wink.gif ... I swear by it, and yes, I've substituted all sorts of flavors in it. Macsmom has a great version of the WASC ... look up the "Help! Gourmet flavors" thread and you'll find all sorts of nice variations. HTH!

Ditto thumbs_up.gif

mrsclox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsclox Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:49am
post #10 of 15

I just did this with Betty Crocker Dark Chocolate mixes. It was super yummy!!

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:29pm
post #11 of 15

Macsmom has all her recipes posted on her signature line in her posts. She has tonnes of WASC variation recipes!

They all look so good. I've tried 3 different flavors of WASC from her recipes, and I gotta say, she really knows what makes a flavorful, moist cake!!

TRY THE CHOCOLATE TRUFFLE FILLING!!! you won't regret it!!

FlourPots Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:36pm
post #12 of 15

mom2rascals...would you share which 3 you made and loved.

I saw that amazing list and didn't know where to start, but I need a little variety in my cakes.

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 15

Orange Dreamsicle, Lemon Cake (MacsMom's version) and Chocolate WASC with the Chocolate Truffle Filling.

I can't wait to try some more of her creations!

FlourPots Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:16pm
post #14 of 15

Sounds great, thanks icon_smile.gif .

sweetsbystacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbystacy Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #15 of 15

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

You guys are awesome!

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%