Bc Isn't Crusting..what To Do?

Decorating By pipe-dreams Updated 29 May 2009 , 5:35pm by pipe-dreams

pipe-dreams Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 4

I have had the cake iced for almost an hour now, and it still isn't crusting. I used the same batch of icing on my other cake last night, and it crusted fine. Need to get it covered in fondant soon. What can I do? It's 67 degrees in my house, with no stoves or anything on. The cake is cold b/c it has perishable filling. TIA!!

3 replies
cupcakemkr Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:28pm
post #2 of 4

if it is cold then the icing will be set up until it gets to room temp. You should be able to place your fondant on it just fine without it crusting.

aggiechef Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 4

I never wait for my BC to crust before I put the fondant on. I was always told that it will stick better if the BC hasn't crusted.

Also, I had some BC not too long ago that didn't crust (check out the zebra cake in my pics), and I think I finally decided that it was too humid that day. I live on the Texas Gulf Coast and humidity is a given around here, but that day it was especially bad for this early in the year.

Hope this helps.

pipe-dreams Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 4

Oh, OK. I usually like to give it a final smooth with viva before I fondant, but it's pretty smooth already! I'll just go ahead with the fondant. thanks so much for the quick responses!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%