First Wedding Cake Consultation

Business By susaneholcomb Updated 29 May 2009 , 5:51pm by Misdawn

susaneholcomb Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 8

i finally have my first wedding cake consult. The bride wants a simple but elegant cake.

she sent me photos of her ideas. the cake will be four tiers, square and white fondant with either small pearls on the fondant or dots with royal icing.

She needs the cake to serve 150 people, she also wants me to do the groom cake.

My question, pricing. I did research in my area, fort worth texas, as the best i can figure is for the wedding cake with fondant icing 4.50 slice.

Questions:
1. Is that about right for pricing?
2. Does the groom cake need to feed the same amount of people?
3. How do most of you do tastings? do you make several small cakes? do you make cupcakes with the filling as icing? What have you seen work best.

Sorry for so long, but i really want this job to get my foot in the door with wedding cakes.

thanks for any suggestions you may have to make this meeting successful and geta signed contract.

Susan

7 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 8

Simple and elegant usually means even more work, as there aren't borders to hide tier spaces, or dings on the corners....simple and elegant makes me wanna throw something.

Your pricing sounds awesome to me, as in relation to what I charge.

I have no experience with grooms cakes, and hope I never need to.

I schedule tastings once every three months for as many couples as we can fit into several time slots throughout the day, so I bake once, a bunch of flavors, no freezing, all the cake gets used, and they don't get charged for the tasting. Individual tastings would break me, even if I did charge for them. But I'm lazy and not up for individual tastings....not patient enough. And the leftover cake is aggravating.

I arrange cake samples into bite size slices on several cake stands, and flavors and fillings are carefully arranged on flat serving trays, scooped out with a melon ball. Makes a beautiful arrangement. For lemon SMBC, I put a pinch of lemon zest...for choco SMBC, a pinch of shaved chocolate, for raspberry, a small berry...on and on. I love tastings....which is why I don't do them on an individual basis and kill myself with all the effort.

cakes22 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 8

_Jamie_ can I book a tasting??? I'll come from my home in Canada to your place to have some of your yummy cake. It sounds delicious!

(sorry op, didn't mean to take away from your post).

icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #4 of 8

Sure!! Come on down! I have so much fun at tastings.....this is a pic of an SMBC platter without the sprinklies on top. Gonna fancy up the pic and make them into biz cards one of these days, Moo biz cards, they look awesome!
LL

Amymnn Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 8

Jamie what a wonderful idea! Your presentation looks beautiful. And delicious!

Misdawn Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:26pm
post #6 of 8

I give my brides a list of my flavors and ask them to choose three each (frosting & cake) and then I make those for the tasting. I give them the option of paying $5 each if they want more flavors to try or fillings to sample. (Hey, I'm not made of money, somebody's gotta' pay for all that.) Then when the flavors are selected, I give them a 4" round cake and an ice cream scoop doloop of each frosting, along with plastic utensils and plates. This way they can mix 'n match. (I do this at home for friends and aquaintances. I don't have an actual business, so take it for what it's worth. LOL!)

__Jamie__ Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks! I wish I had pics from the last one...the little sprinkles on top woulda made a good pic...oh, and a coffee bean on top of the mocha flavor.

Misdawn Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 8

I like the coffee bean idea! That would be so cute!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%