Venue Staff Fingers Cake!!!

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 1:06am by classiccake

jillmakescakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 17

Ok, so I'm delivering a very nice (if I do say so myself) cake this morning to a very reputable venue. They are finishing "fluffing" the table with linens, tell me to go ahead and put the cake and then they will place the organza fluff to match the brides colors.

After I get the cake all set and I am packing up ready to walk out the door, I hear a gasp. I turn around and the "fluffer" has gouged three fingers into the side of the cake icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

Somehow I turn into completely calm McGuyver mode. I asked for a cup of hot water and by the way, how does the icing taste? (because I can't very well scrape it off her fingers to use on the cake). I get my extra icing and a spatula and repair the cake. I also mentioned that they may want to have the florist use that as a place for a flower, just in case.(the florist is putting a few flower clusters on the corners)

It wasn't until the ride home that I"m able to sufficiently wrap my head around the horror that just took place- ok, that might be a bit dramatic, but geez-- its not like she was new, you are right next to a cake, be a little careful!

Ok- I'm done and off to delivery another cake. I'll try to post pics of my patch job.

16 replies
pattycakesnj Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:06pm
post #2 of 17

do you take pictures of the cake after you are all done, this way if the venue does something to the cake, you can prove to the client that you left the cake in perfect condition? Just a thought and your cakes are beautiful and I am sure no one could tell that you did some repair

sara91 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 17

Could it have been an accident and they were too embarrassed to tell you?

cylstrial Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 17

I'm just glad that you were there and able to fix the problem!!

2girliesmama Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:12pm
post #5 of 17

Hope for the best...prepare for the worst. Glad you had supplies and a calm head! icon_biggrin.gif

kandu001 Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 17

YIKES! Good thing you went prepared!

clovely Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 17

And good thing you hadn't left yet. That's something you'd expect at a 3 year old's party. Lucky for the bride you were there and able to fix it. Hopefully they handled the rest of her reception better!

CakeForte Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:33pm
post #8 of 17

This is exactly why I offer full table decoration and set up as a service. It takes me literally 10 minutes to do, and no ones dirty a$$ fingers end up in the cake. It's part of my set up and delivery fee.

DebBTX Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 17

I bet you felt like a million bucks to be able to remain calm and do the needed repairs. I'm sure the venue staff were not only impressed, but thankful.

-Debbie B.

3GCakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 10:21pm
post #10 of 17

Great save. True professionalism at work.

mcaulir Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:10pm
post #11 of 17

I once waitressed at a place that held weddings, and a new waitress served a plate of dessert and a piece of fruit fell off the plate onto the table as she put it down in front of the guest, so she picked it up with her fingers and put it back on the plate.

I was right beside her at the time, and took the plate away again and replaced it.

People have no idea. Surely if you were still there, they would have told you about it. Gosh.

JodieF Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:40am
post #12 of 17

I had assembled the biggest cake I ever did, a 5 tier with a side cake to serve 350. I spent 50 hours on that baby and I'd never made anything that big or detailed. Anyway, I got it all set up and was putting the roses on it and 2 ladies (I'd say in their 60's) we watching from a distance. When I got done, I was standing back, breathing a huge sigh of relief, and they moved it to look at all the photos (25 edible images, all in fondant frames). They're oohing and aahing, and then one of them reaches up and sticks a finger about 3 inches into the 3rd tier! I was so shocked I was totally speechless. She looked startled and blurted out "OH...it's really cake!" I mean, what in HECK did she think she was looking at????? Her friend was all bug eyed and yelled "I can't beLIEVE you just did that!".
I was able to fix it, but I stood guard after that. I still can't believe it.

Jodie

DebBTX Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:23am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

I was able to fix it, but I stood guard after that. I still can't believe it. Jodie

I had to smile when you said you stood guard. I actually hired a sweet young lady as a cake guard when my oldest daughter married. She was polite, but firm with any of our guests that crossed the invisible line. It was wonderful. I had one less thing to worry about.

-Debbie B.

lardbutt Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:06am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebBTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodieF

I was able to fix it, but I stood guard after that. I still can't believe it. Jodie

I had to smile when you said you stood guard. I actually hired a sweet young lady as a cake guard when my oldest daughter married. She was polite, but firm with any of our guests that crossed the invisible line. It was wonderful. I had one less thing to worry about.

-Debbie B.

A cake guard, I love it!

gerripje Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:47am
post #15 of 17

Standing guard is funny! A person almost needs a trip wire around the cake and if set off, a loud siren and a warning to step away from the cake would go off. My husband makes fun of me and says I need that cause my DD, who is 8 years old, just loooooves to touch things!!!!

350BakerStreet Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:21pm
post #16 of 17

I gasped too when I read this! What the hell?!?! This is why I don't let my husband in the kitchen when I'm decorating...some people just don't know how to pay attention and be careful with delicate stuff. Good save, btw!

classiccake Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 1:06am
post #17 of 17

I delivered a cake to a well known venue. An hour later I got a call from the my shop. The manager of the venue had callled to say that one of the servers had accidentally put a big gash on the bottom tier. They neede help fixing the cake.

One of my vans was still downtown, so I called the decorator and asked her to go fix the cake. The story was....the bride had a very cool and expensive set of toasting goblets. They were in a very nice box on the cake table. The server wanted to show them to another server. When he flipped opened the box, the lid went into the side of the cake!

We got it fixed...bride was unaware.....server was reprimanded.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%