Help! How Do I Get Fondant To Harden?!

Decorating By RIC-Girl Updated 29 May 2009 , 5:22pm by RIC-Girl

RIC-Girl Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 6

I am making a cake (for tomorrow) and I am using fondant that needs to harden (needs to have a curved effect). I rolled it out and cut it Wednesday night and it's still not completely stiff. Is there a way to make it harden faster or something else I can use instead? (I used the MMF recipe)

Any suggestions would be wonderful!!

thanks all!

5 replies
tiggy2 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 6

Gum paste will dry completely hard but fondant doesn't. You can add tylose to fondant and it will dry harder and faster but not completely hard.

RIC-Girl Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you!! Fingers crossed it will be dry enough by tomorrow!

ailika Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 6

This is too funny, I'm trying to make fondant soft so I can work with it and I can't.

aswartzw Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:11pm
post #5 of 6

I used tylose with fondant for my Wilton Course 3 and my roses were completely dried within a few days. I've also used fondant with no tylose and had it dry completely within a few days. It's just not as strong as gumpaste. I actually find a 50/50 of gumpaste and fondant is the most durable and workable.

How are you wanting it curved an how thin did you roll it? The thinner, the better. Plus what is the humidity? You can stick it in your oven with the oven light on to dry it quicker.

RIC-Girl Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:22pm
post #6 of 6

I want the fondant to be curved - I'm using the flower molds from Course 2, I think. I didn't roll it as thin as I should, I'm now figuring out! icon_smile.gif I've got them in the oven right now with the light on - learned that trick with color flow.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%