To Anyone Who Has Made A Castle With The Wilton Kit...

Decorating By foxymomma521 Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm by foxymomma521

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 16

I'm making my niece's 2nd birthday cake for Sunday, and have a few questions... I need the servings in a 12" and 8", but after looking thru the galleries, I'm worried that will look out of proportion. Do most people do 10" and 6"? If so I can make cuppies for the extra servings (although I'd rather not icon_sad.gif )
I know there has been difficulty with transport, so I'm planning on having DH drill holes in the towers for dowels...
My next question is about the turrets... I was planning on covering in fondant, and airbrushing, but I see a lot of them that look like they are covered in BC, and rolled in cake sprinkles... I was planning on using disco dust (never used it before) and I have no idea how to get it to stick. Am I better using fondant or bc?
For some reason I'm suddenly very unsure of what I have to do, and I just want a clear plan before I start baking today.
Any help would be very appreciated thumbs_up.gif
Thank You!

15 replies
dogwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogwood Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:18pm
post #2 of 16

As far as 12"x8" I think that will be fine. For the turrets it will be a lot easier for you if you cover with fondant and airbrush. I wouldn't use the disco dust on anything. I found out a few months ago that disco dust was originally made for crafting not cakes therefore it is not food safe. I forgot all the stuff that the disco dust was made from but it wasn't good. The cake decorating suppliers are supposed to be taking it off their shelves.

foxymomma521 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 16

Well the turrets are plastic, and obviously won't be eaten, so I have no concerns about the disco dust being ingested. Thanks for the reply-
Has anyone covered their turrets in bc? I think I also saw a pic where someone said they rolled them in white chocolate... Any one try this? My biggest concern is covering them evenly in whatever I end up using to make them sparkle...

Lineah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lineah Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:36pm
post #4 of 16

I made the Wilton castle cake. Just look through my pictures. This was back when it very first came out, so I just followed the directions that it suggested. I covered the turrets in royal icing and added sparkles while it was still drying. Just make sure you make enough time for the flowers. If I had to do it over again I would attempt to do the turrets in fondant and airbrush (making sure to cover the white part with something so that they do not get painted and rubbed onto the cake) HTH and good luck...post a pic please when your done!

pipe-dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pipe-dreams Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 16

I covered mine in bc. Then I put clear sprinkles on them. I also made all my flowers 2 days ahead of time.

foxymomma521 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:39pm
post #6 of 16

thank you! I cheated and ordered a big box of mini flowers to use on it... I'm 8 months pregnant, have 3 little boys, and a broken elbow, so anywhere I can save some time is fine by me icon_smile.gif Your cake is great btw- thanks for the tips!

sweet1122 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet1122 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 16

Mine is in the gallery as well. I used buttercream on the turrets and rolled it in the sprinkles. It was very easy and worked fine. Looked even to me and I'm pretty picky! BUT some of the sprinkles did end up on the cake. I didn't care much because they were food sprinkles, but if you're using something that's not food safe I might be concerned.

Good luck!

specialtycakesbysara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
specialtycakesbysara Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 16

I have made the Castle Cake a few times. For the turrets, I colored the royal icing whatever color (pink one time and then purple the other time) and then rolled the turrets after being frosted with royal icing in clear cake sparkles. I thought that it turned out nice and it was super easy. To get the towers to stay put while transporting, I just melted white chocolate and they stayed rather well. I think that the idea you had to drill holes is a great idea!! I used 10 and 6 inch cakes, and to be honest, I think that the 12 and 8 would have been a lot better. You'll have a lot more room to put the 8 inch on top of the 12 inch!! Good luck!!

TBallad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TBallad Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:58pm
post #9 of 16

I recently made the cake as directed for my daughter's 1st birthday and then transported it to her grandparents' house for the party. Here's the picture: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1376615

My thoughts on the sizes and turrets after that:

I'd definitely go for the 12 and 8. I had a hard time squeezing the turrets in on top of the 10" cake.

I love the idea of drilling the turrets - please let us know how that works out! I had a tough time with them. Following the directions, I used candy to attach dowels to the turrets and half of them just didn't stick well. I used royal icing tinted lavender and luster dust for shine. I didn't roll the turrets though - I spread it on which gave it a nice textured look I think.

Definitely don't put the turrets on until you arrive at the location. I had to reattach all but one.

Good luck!

foxymomma521 Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:11am
post #10 of 16

thank you all so much!

foxymomma521 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:21pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks ladies- I finished but it took me just this side of forever to do it! I didn't realize I only had pink flowers not purple, so I had to do the turrets purple anyway, so no pink disco dust worries icon_smile.gif Pink and pink would have been overwhelming...
Even with the dowels, (which were easy to do) I would not transport with ANY turrets in it again. The fondant was so heavy it made them top heavy, and even though I only kept the bottom tier 4 in for the car ride, it was still really unstable.
Thanks again for the tips, and here's the pic
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1382536.html

TBallad Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 4:55pm
post #12 of 16

It turned out beautiful! How did drilling holes in the turrets work? Did they stay put?

foxymomma521 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #13 of 16

Thank you! Yes, it worked out well. The drill went thru the plastic like butter, and it was way easier and less messy than trying to attatch with candy melts. Thank you to whoever posted the idea!

TBallad Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #14 of 16

yay! gotta go find the charger for the drill icon_smile.gif

mtaccts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtaccts Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #15 of 16

Love the textured roller on the turrets - great idea!

foxymomma521 Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 9:12pm
post #16 of 16

thank you... I had the idea to do that while I was sleeping lol...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%