Black Buttercream

Decorating By PTBUGZY1 Updated 29 May 2009 , 7:48pm by bakingatthebeach

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 9

I need to make some black buttercream, whats the best way of doing this and getting it very black? Does someone out there have a trick up their sleeve. Thanks in advance. icon_biggrin.gif

8 replies
cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 9

Start off with chocolate b/c and gradually add black. It will darken over time. Or if you have a lot of different colours of left over icing, mix it all together and add your black. As long as your base is dark, you won't need to add so much black and it won't effect the taste.

hth

shopesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shopesmith Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:23pm
post #3 of 9

I start with chocolate buttercream, and add black coloring to that.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes22

Start off with chocolate b/c and gradually add black. It will darken over time. Or if you have a lot of different colours of left over icing, mix it all together and add your black. As long as your base is dark, you won't need to add so much black and it won't effect the taste.

hth

I'm going to have to try this trick sometime. I've always made mine by starting with chocolate buttercream. This sounds like a good way to get rid of little bits of leftover icing in odd colors. thumbs_up.gif

BTW - love your tagline...

MAMABEEYATCH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAMABEEYATCH Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:35pm
post #5 of 9

OOOH, this was going to be my question. I have already started out with white buttercream and with all the black i've added i still have not gotten true black. do i keep adding black color or is there something else i can do at this point?

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMABEEYATCH

OOOH, this was going to be my question. I have already started out with white buttercream and with all the black i've added i still have not gotten true black. do i keep adding black color or is there something else i can do at this point?

I would put a smear of it on a white plate and let it dry for about an hour and see what it looks like, it will darken as it dries, alternatively you could add a bunch of baking cocoa to it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 9

I start black buttercream with white all the time. Granted I do it in smaller amounts as I won't do large surfaces with black, and it is easier to get the truer color in smaller amounts.

It takes ALOT of icing color. I punched up red icing for a couple of my students the other night and they were amazed how much color I dumped in there.

It will darken up. After you mix it let it sit for an hour and check the color. If it is not dark enough add more and try again. Dark colors are best made the night before that way you can keep checking and adding as you need to.

Good luck with it!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #8 of 9

I like to start off with chocolate buttercream as well. It just makes it easier to get to black. Sometimes I do start off with white, but it just takes so much time and paste. I have found that Americolor black really works well! And I love that they are in a squeeze bottle, because it's so much easier then picking the paste out with a toothpick. =o)

bakingatthebeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingatthebeach Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 9

I always start out with chocolate icing and add the black to it. As it sits it darkens.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%