I Am Devastated And On The Brink Of Tears!

Business By torysgirl87 Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 12:45am by torysgirl87

torysgirl87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:14pm
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

I hope you find out who gave you the bogus info.

In the meantime, maybe you could make dummy cakes and rent them out? Or offer classes to people?

Me too!!!! I'm going home on lunch break to pull out the folder! icon_lol.gif

I do have a licensed dummy cake rental/sale business. I've been working on the teaching portion. I've even applied to teach Wilton classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara91

I am sure you will make a great mother. I am sorry for the hurdles that have been put in your way.

Thanks so much for your kind and encouraging words! You will make me cry!!! icon_cry.gificon_smile.gif

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:05pm
post #32 of 49

How awful to get wrong info, get your hopes all up and then get them dashed like that!! No suggestions, just wanted to send an uber-hug and a pat on the back.

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:51pm
post #33 of 49

torysgirl-

You may want to consider having a child first, it is a lot more work and worry than those without children assume. Not saying you assume this but it seems like you are trying to take on a lot at once. Once your child is born you may feel differently about placing them in someone else's care. There is always time for cakes later and research has shown that the first three years of life it is important for the child to be with their mother for psychological and developmemental reasons, after that flip a coin for day care or dad to stay home, whatever you decide. Cake does not need you like your child will. And remember children need their parent's time, not things. Just my two cents. I wish you luck, God will help you find the way...

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:21pm
post #34 of 49

Tiffraine,

If I have a baby, I definitely want to stay home with my child, thus me wanting to work from home. I've always wanted to do cakes, I've just recently wanted to have children. In fact, when DH and I started on the idea of a bakery at home neither of wanted kids. Now we do. But I don't want to only be a stay at home mom. I still want to work at something, somewhere. I find work fulfulling. My husband is dead set against us having a baby and putting it in daycare. At this point, I'd have no other choice if I had a baby b/c I work full time and need my health insurance. With building the bakery at home, by the time it was finished I could get on my husband's insurance, and do cakes on my own time, then have a baby. I'm sure there is much more to being a parent than I know anything about. No one knows until they have their own kid, though I have 3 nephews and neices have babysat and changed many a diaper. But I wasn't planning on doing all of this before June 1 or even by the end of the year. I also definitely don't think cake needs me. But lots of parents work to take care of their kids and this would be my job, just from home, and one I'd happen to love. My parents say thye cried when my ma took me to daycare at 6 weeks and she went back to work. But I have never, ever felt deprived or that I didn't get what I needed from my parents. Nonetheless, I'm very disappointed at this roadblock. Thanks for your well wishes. I am doing a lot of thinking.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:43pm
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by torysgirl87

I have been baking since I was a litte girl. Two years ago, I decided I wanted to do cakes professionally. My husband sat back to watch and see if I was for real. I took classes, bought supplies, and have been working towards becoming a professional. I contacted my county and state departments for requirements to have a home based bakery and all was go. My husband came on board fully and we've been dreaming of having this become our business together and start a family. I have fibromyalgia and want to work from home on my own time.

We are ready to build now and the contractor spoke to me about specific spacing requirements for the sinks that he couldn't remember exactly. I called only to find out that you indeed CANNOT HAVE A COMMERCIAL KITCHEN/HOME BASED BAKERY! It is not allowed. I am devastated...

I don't know what to think. I feel like my dreams have been shattered. I am numb. I am at a point where I really want to have a family, but I have health limitations and the 9 to 5 just isn't a good fit for all that I want out of my life at this point.

I spoke with a wonderful lady at the county who could tell I wanted to just burst out in tears. She said that this has always been the requirement, but she did believe that I'd received misinformation from someone at the county b/c I was not the only person calling w/ this wrong information. She gave me some pointers for proceeding but it isn't likely that I have many options other than trying to open a store front...

I AM REALLY AT A LOSS icon_cry.gif

I didn't read all the other posts yet because I just wanna relate to you.

I have fibro. I can't work from my home. I have all the commercail equipment sitting here gathering dust. icon_biggrin.gif

Chicken much, Kate?? (like scared to go commercial)

Why yes don't mind if I do.

Well I can defer my chicken-ness to my husband too--cowards alwasy have an out. He wants me to does not want me to. I mean he bought the freaking Deluxe oven.

Dude, no, this is funny, I gotta beautiful state of the art brand spanking new never used DeLuxe Radiant Air cake oven sitting right there
<points finger left stage >
<six feet to the North of my computer chair>

I gotta Castle pizza oven in my back bedroom. I gotta Berkel twenny quart.

NEVER BEEN USED by me

So It could be worse--you could have tons of money invested in commercial equipment and you still can't get it off the ground. icon_lol.gif

Do you know how many times I've redesigned my house to accomodate a caking business--I've mentally moved every wall in the joint--no kidding.

But I don't wanna be a business woman like Snarks and Indy Indy and many other successful people here I admire. I just wanna make cool cakes. But I can't.

I can get it going from my church and I am but you can imagine the potential for "sharing" issues. Because we just got our new pastor voted in Sunday--so now we can move forward more & see where it's going. kwim

But BabySugar try not to feel too bad. Those damn rules are there for some freakin' good reason. Like we care what good reason it is--but--Figure out a way to do what you love and make money doing something else.

That's one huge consolation--you can still make kick ass cakes anytime you want!

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:59pm
post #36 of 49

HUGGS!!!! Thank goodness it's not after construction. About the Church idea... because Churches are a seperate private group their kitchens do not have to be licenced as long as they are not selling to the public. You can give food away but you can't sell it without being licensed. I just went through this with thinking our Community Club House Kitchen would be an option for me to rent and be legal. Same thing private group and no licensing needed. But one day I declair I will sell cake!!!

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:02pm
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsmile

HUGGS!!!! Thank goodness it's not after construction. About the Church idea... because Churches are a seperate private group their kitchens do not have to be licenced as long as they are not selling to the public. You can give food away but you can't sell it without being licensed. I just went through this with thinking our Community Club House Kitchen would be an option for me to rent and be legal. Same thing private group and no licensing needed. But one day I declair I will sell cake!!!

Each individual area has it's own nuances.
Church kitchens are allowed here in 10C.

O wait, are you in Georgia too?

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:05pm
post #38 of 49

But you do need to get a cry out and grieve this thing then move on, GF.

Onward and upward.

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #39 of 49

k8memphis,

You are right, it could be much worse. I only almost had a house full of equipment. icon_wink.gif I think Church kitchens are allowed here too, but I don't have a church home w/ a kitchen. The state actually approves the church kitchen, home based commercial kitchen, but its the county I've run into issues with.

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:11pm
post #40 of 49

Sad smile, thanks for the hug!

The cry will come and then the plan B. I've always had everything in life I've ever wanted, except for happy newlywed weight. I won't stop now! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:44pm
post #41 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by torysgirl87

I think Church kitchens are allowed here too, but I don't have a church home w/ a kitchen. The state actually approves the church kitchen, home based commercial kitchen, but its the county I've run into issues with.

Now doesn't that just blow your brain out???

I've got fellow cakebuddy chicklettes here in my county emailing me & stuff about how they talked to someone at such & such gov't office & they said green light green light. And I'm like yeah but it ain't happening because when you call this other office it's red light brick wall end of story.

Gotta love the red tape. Or we could maybe choke someone with it. icon_lol.gif

EatSomeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EatSomeCake Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:50pm
post #42 of 49

torysgirl-

I stayed home with my daughter for the first 22 months of her life, then went to work full-time for a year, then cut down to part-time and then my son was born 5 months ago and decided not to go back to work at the end of the 12 week maternity leave. Now two months later I am looking for a part-time job to pay the bills. I worry about when my children are day care, if they're getting enough interaction, safety, etc. that is why I'm hesitant to go back to work though trying to work it around my husband's sched to avoid day care. I'm petrified another toddler will attack my 5 month old when the sitter is not looking or they won't get enough mental stimulation(6 children under five is a lot to take care of. Hopefully my sched and husband's sched will work out as( we don't want to lose our house either and it's nice to socialize with adults, it does also make you appreciate your children more if you don't see them the whole day) It's hard to focus on work if you're worrying about the children though. That's why I think your commercial bakery in the home is a great idea. If you need to hire a sitter they can be in your home possibly while you are working on cakes and you can also get additional personal fulfillment doing something for work that you enjoy.

Have you and your husband thought about buying/renting housing in a town/county near yours that does allow licensed home kitchens/commercial home kitchens? That might be something to look into. It would be more cost effective to find a town within a county that allows you to do a licensed home kitchen and while you're building a name for yourself slowly start construction on a separate commercial home kitchen. Things to think about which it sounds like you're doing a lot of. I noticed you're in Decatur, that is where the company that I worked for (Small Smiles, Children's Dental CLinic) first started and expanded nationwide.

torysgirl87 Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:07pm
post #43 of 49

tiffraine,

I thought to myself, "Should we move?" But we have put MAJOR work into our house. It is my baby. At my Daddy's urging, I broke my apt lease and bought it when I was only 19. When I met my husband, we wanted to be together more than how fast the house would sell so he moved to Decatur, we married, he moved in and its been our project since.

I guess we could move, but I don't want to and I don't know if DH would want to. I live on the block w/ my parents. My ma is retiring in 3 months and my daddy next year. I would have help nearly on hand w/ my baby and business and my ma was even excited about a start up doing wedding photography after she retired where we could work together as a team. *sigh*

I started searching just to see how much a commercial piece of property would cost. Some were quite reasonable, but I have to find out what is involved in owning a bakery. For 2 years, my entire thought process, researching, etc has been home based.

I also google searched home based bakeries in GA. There are some. I have called and left messages to speak w/ the owners. I don't know which counties these are in.

I'm sure there is a purpose behind it all. I will find it. I hope you are able to find work that fits your family, life and schedule. I can't have a bakery at home, but may be you can!icon_smile.gif

mombabytiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mombabytiger Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:23pm
post #44 of 49

I have done baking in my church kitchen. It is quite large and meets all the requirements of the HD. As long as no one is using it for a church function and the building is open anyway, why not? Or - since baking is largely a nighttime affair, perhaps you could share a kitchen with a daytime biz.

Good luck!

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:16pm
post #45 of 49

i don't understand, is it a zoning issue?....if it was me, and that was it....i'd try to get it changed, if it's God's will...He will help you.

littlecake Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:20pm
post #46 of 49

you can do biz as a home baker in tulsa county, if you have a separate kitchen, that has been laid out by health dept regulations....you can't use your family kitchen tho...

torysgirl87 Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:23pm
post #47 of 49

Littlecake,

Yes, it is a zoning issue and I have already started the process to see if I can have my property rezoned, though I have been told up front it not very likely that it will be approved.

littlecake Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:06am
post #48 of 49

I'm glad you are going forward till you get the "closed door"....most people are so negative, everyone and their dog will tell you why it's so hard and why you can't do it.

But when you have God helping you, He knows how to get past the roadblocks that stop the other folks....who knows, it might be easy to get it changed...that is just one persons opinion.

"Lord please make the path straight for torysgirl87, if that's the path you would have her take, give her extreme favor with the people who make the decisions" in Jesus name.

He's done so many things for me over the years that seemed hard at the time, this is not a one bit hard for Him, if this is what He wants for you.

if not. there will be another better way, nevr give up.

torysgirl87 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:45am
post #49 of 49

Amen!

Wow! Thanks so much for your prayers for me!!! How beautiful! I am so thankful for the support I have received here.

I really do believe what you said. If this is for me, God will make a way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%