Sweetex In The Summer???

Decorating By MissRobin Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 1:54pm by MissRobin

MissRobin Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 11

Anyone know where I can order some sweetex this time of year??? GSA, is already not shipping it.

10 replies
dutchy1971 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 11

try the bakers kitchen. They had it at a good price.

tmcakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 11

WHAT!!!! icon_eek.gif I was just thinking I should place an order for some today! If any one can help please let me know as well!

Gloria72777 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 11

OK....can someone please tell me what Sweetex is????

dutchy1971 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 11

Hi Ration shortening.

Just checked thebakerskitchen.net they have it in stock and say nothing about not delivering in summer months.

RetiredNavyChief Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:57pm
post #6 of 11

i ordered some from pattycakes.com

jo_ann Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:31pm
post #7 of 11

I absolutely love gsa but since they are not shipping for the summer I went looking and found it at fondant source.com and at $79.99 for 50lb cube. I called and they are shipping.

JanH Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 11
Originally Posted by Gloria72777

OK....can someone please tell me what Sweetex is????

The difference between Crisco and hi-ratio is in the amount of emulsifiers, and stabilizers, etc. Hi-ratio has MORE emulsifiers, etc. than Crisco so it can ABSORB more liquid without breaking down:

The difference in the two types of shortening isn't flavor/taste improvement (I don't find that Crisco or Sweetex have a discernible taste) but in improved performance and the absence of the "greasy" mouth feel that is an often heard complaint directed at regular shortening based American buttercreams.

When I initially switched from Crisco to Sweetex, I tried subbing at 1:1 ratio. While the resulting recipe was not "greasy" at all, the general consensus was that the frosting was too rich (had too much fat) and was like trying to chug heavy cream (when you were expecting whole milk).

I then switched to recipes that specifically called for hi-ratio and have been quite pleased with the results. I find that hi-ratio recipes use less shortening (and make a better frosting) so that the higher cost of the hi-ratio is offset somewhat, making it more budget friendly.

CakemanOh recommends using 1 cup hi-ratio to 7 cups of powdered sugar, or substituting 2/3 cup hi-ratio for 1 cup of Crisco.

When trying any new recipe, I usually make only 1/2 or 1/3 as a test batch. Might want to try doing this when substituting hi-ratio for Crisco and see what replacement ratio you prefer.

Examples of highly rated hi-ratio recipes:

BMartin Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:33am
post #9 of 11

Stovercompany has the 50lb cube for about $58. And they are shipping.
The shipping to GA was 24.and change. This is the cheapest I have found it any where.

BMartin Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:36am
post #10 of 11

Oh yeah, the Alpine was 66.66. that includes shipping for the 50lb cube.

MissRobin Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:54pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks guys for your responses, just had a chance to check back, I am relieved that I will be able to get it!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%