Just Have To Cry With Someone Who Understands...

Decorating By auntbeesbaking Updated 29 May 2009 , 9:08pm by EyeCandy

auntbeesbaking Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 11

I know, I'm sentimental and emotional, but I just had to cry on someone's shoulders who would understand...

I was packing up fondant, cookie, frosting ingredients to take to a friends and use her kitchen and commercial mixer and I had a disasterl My marble pastry board (18 x 12) that I use for cinnamon rolls (PERFECT SIZE!), cookie dough, pie crusts, fondant rolling, etc. just fell down my back step (I only have 2 to the side door) and broke in pieces! icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_cry.gif

I am literally sick! My heart is broke and I feel sick to my stomach! I use that thing 6 days a week, minimun! With my son's graduation open house almost here, and increasing medical expenses, I have no funds to replace it. icon_sad.gif

I can't think right at the moment ... does anyone have a suggestion that I can substitute for the mean time?

Thank you for letting me cry...not just anyone understands when a beloved baking friend is no more. I tried to convey that once to someone who looked at me like I had 3 heads. I mean, I would't do what I do without a Kitchen Aid (or other professional mixer), would you?

At least this day can't get any worse...(I think!)

10 replies
Lineah Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 11

OMG!!! I feel your pain and am crying with you!! I know what it feels like, and when others don't understand...

tiggerjo Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 11

Can't come up with a solution for you but am sorry this happened to you. Been there, done that. hugs to you

kjjs Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 11

Hi there! I'm kinda new to the forum posting thing, but I had to respond to this one. I totally understand your pain! Not only am I a ridiculoulsy obsessive pack rat, but I am also very sentimental! I have a suggestion that may or may not work. How many pieces did the board break into? If it is just 2 or 3, maybe it can be fixed? call or go to a flooring store or counter top installer who works with marble and see if there is an adhesive that could be used to glue it back together. The right adhesive, some long pipe clamps, and some bricks to keep it flat could save your old friend untill you are better able to replace it. This may not be realistic, but who knows?

Texas_Rose Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:04pm
post #5 of 11

Oh, I'm sorry. There's nothing worse than losing something we absolutely NEED.

For a cheap quick substitute for it, try a sheet of heavy clear vinyl. I bought one to roll fondant on and it has been jumping onto my counter icon_biggrin.gif whenever I have to roll cookie dough or tortillas, because it seems to work better than my other stuff.

Also I've seen marble boards cheap at Ross. I'm thinking maybe they're usually a bit smaller like 12x15 but I see them almost every time I go.

mtaccts Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 11

If you have a place in the area that makes custom counters (marble, granite, etc) they may have a scrap piece they will part with cheap or even free. I just got a 24" x 36" piece in exchange for 5 doz cookies - what a deal. And a bonus that it matches my existing laminate countertops thumbs_up.gif

EyeCandy Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 11

I know how you feel when you loose something you love so much... icon_sad.gif

I think a couple of the posters already have great advice about seeing if they can seal it back up for you. Good luck and know I'll be saying a little prayer that your board can be put back together. icon_smile.gif

3GCakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:50pm
post #8 of 11

What a day! I am sorry you lost such an important tool!

You may want to try Craig's list. Either for scraps for sale or post that you want to buy.

The idea about going to the counter store is great.

eatdessert1st Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 11

I googled the size pastry bd you need and the prices aren't bad at all:

$14.99 (plus 8% off if you order today, I noticed on the website, which would help offset shipping charges!)

Also, you can call home depot or one of those places and ask them how much it would be for that size marble. They always have odd pieces of marble left over. You can always add little rubber feet to the bottom. That'd save you on any shipping costs!

I'm so sorry this happened to you. I know you're upset and hugs out to you icon_smile.gif

auntbeesbaking Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 11

WOW! Thank you everyone for the "shoulder to lean on", the words of wisdom, advise, etc. I feel so supported from this site from people who "get it"!

I wish I could say thid day got better but it didn't...cable man showed up to collect the box (I knew we hadn't been getting cable and that's okay but...), payday was here and money gone (I'm thinking this MI economy really stinks!) and I have cake ingredients to buy for next week (graduation cakes - our gift to best friend's son and my 10 year-old's Big Buddy from school - he's had the same buddy for 2 years, a very sweet kid!), got permission from the doctor yesterday to go to the gym after being banned for 5 months following 3 surgeries, but my wound opened up today after a 2 week period ( icon_cry.gif ), no gym! D I did get a shot last week and yesterday for heel spurs so at least my foot doesn't hurt today! Serious issues are brewing and I'm melancholy. I did see on the calendar today would've been my grandma's 86th birthday. She was my best friend and the only grandparent I evver had.

So, all this to say, I REALLY appreciate all of you! May you have a peace-filled, joy-filled weekend! thumbs_up.gif

EyeCandy Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 11

Quote by @%username% on %date%