My Dumb Question For The Day

Decorating By mrswendel Updated 29 May 2009 , 6:14pm by pouchet82

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:21pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone,

So, I have been asked to do a small 2 tier wedding cake for a friend. No problem. icon_biggrin.gif
She wants a chocolate fudge cake with cookies/cream filling. No problem. icon_biggrin.gif
She wants chocolate buttercream icing. No problem. icon_biggrin.gif
She wants the cake to be white...no decoration other than a ribbon around the base of each tier and 3 gerberas on top. No problem. icon_biggrin.gif
Here's the problem, she wants NO FONDANT! thumbsdown.gif

So, my question is: how can I make her cake white if the flavour of icing she wants is chocolate/brown? For those of you who do all buttercream wedding cakes, do you always use vanilla buttercream for the outside of the cake?

11 replies
Kimmers971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimmers971 Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 12

Use white chocolate - that's the only way she's going to get "white" and "chocolate". Or tell the the fondant is just a covering and it can be removed at service (I know that is a total waste of time and money, but...)

Good Luck & Post Pics!

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 12

I would explain to her that chocolate buttercream is usually brown, but see about using a white chocolate buttercream maybe?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 12

.....She wants chocolate buttercream icing. No problem. She wants the cake to be white.......

What???? Chocolate b'cream BUT.......white?
The only way is to use white choco. But to me there is a vast difference in taste.

Yes, white choco can be used. Oh, you might try finding some choco flavoring - I'm thinking LorAnn flavorings. It might be slightly off white but usually most brides don't notice that.

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 12

I wonder if there is a clear chocolate flavouring you can use. I did see a pure chocolate extract on Flour Confections website (I see you are cdn.) maybe you could call them and ask if it is clear. HTH

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 12

Lorann does have chocolate flavoring but its very dark. it will definitely affect the color. To me white chocolate... is not chocolate, there's no comparison in taste between the two. I would tell her its either vanilla BC or white fondant. If you roll your fondant thin enough, the guests can just pick it off. it's not a big deal, it doesn't even peel off much icing.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:38pm
post #7 of 12

I would use white chocolate.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:40pm
post #8 of 12

Hang on, I have clear choc flavoring at home...waiting for a call back to get the name of it. Will post as soon as I hear.

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 12

Sorry it took so long. The name is LorAnn Gourmet flavorings. I buy them at a store here called the party store. Approximately $1.79 per small bottle but is very concentrated. They have every flavor you can imagine and some you will think....oh nasttyyyyyy.

mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks everyone. I tried to convince to go with fondant (which would have been the easy route) and for those that don't like...peel it off. She is adamant that she does not want to have fondant. I thought about white chocolate too....but she really likes my milk chocolate buttercream. White chocolate is definitely different flavour than milk chocolate. I haven't seen the LorAnn chocolate flavour around here...I'll have to call the supply place I deal with to see if they carry it. If they do, then I guess it will be another trip to add to my weekend.

Thanks again everyone!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:04pm
post #11 of 12

How about covering the cake with white chocolate ganache under your buttercream?

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 12

Golda's Kitchen carries LorAnn flavours, they have a store in Missasauga but you can order online and they deliver very quickly. Maybe try there?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%