Do I Use Dowels??

Decorating By Rhonda19 Updated 31 May 2009 , 11:56am by Rylan

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 10

I am making a very tiny cake for my DIL's friend. It is one layer, 9 in square, and then a one layer 6 inch square on top.

Would I need dowel rods?? I am very new to dowel rods, and so a little unsure when to use them.

Thanks

9 replies
mrswendel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrswendel Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 10

Anything that I stack gets doweled. Even a 6 inch cake once filled and iced has enough weight that it will affect the bottom tier. Better to be safe than sorry!

dovelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dovelady Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 10

I asked my teacher the same thing last night. She said to get straws from McDonalds to use as dowels icon_smile.gif Cheap enough!

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 10

I would dowel anything that is stacked. I have used straws in a pinch ( didn'thave dowel rods here) but I used more straws than I would have used dowel rods. ... If I would have used 4 dowels, I used 6 straws. can't be too safe. I also always put a dowel through the center of both pieces after I have them stacked ,right down the center thru card board and all, just to keep the top from sliding off.
Also when you cut your straws or dowels or whatever you are using, cut them a hair higher than the top of your cake layer, that way the cake isn't sitting right on top of the cake below it. you want your top layer to be sitting on the supports ( ie: dowels, straws etc).

hope this helps, and good luck icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:50pm
post #5 of 10

I can safely use 3 bubble straws...those suckers are sturdy.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dovelady

I asked my teacher the same thing last night. She said to get straws from McDonalds to use as dowels icon_smile.gif Cheap enough!

It's not up to McD's to supply people with cake supports... you can get a pack of drinking straws at the dollar store if that's what you want to use.

Rhonda19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhonda19 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 10

I have a package of the Wilton White Lollipop sticks.... I have heard of people using those... Most everyone mentioned the bubble straws though, so I will probably just run up to the Dollar Store and just buy a package of the bubble straws. I believe that they have those.

Thanks for the help!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 10

You couldn't pay me to use lollipop sticks...that's way too thin and shaky!

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:42pm
post #9 of 10

I'd go w/ straws or dowels...I agree w/Jaime - lolly sticks are too skinny!
Also - make sure you cut them all the EXACT same size - otherwise you'll have an unintentional topsy turvy! icon_smile.gif

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:56am
post #10 of 10

I usually use a combination of bubble tea straws and dowels. I prefer you use the straws since 6 inches isn't too heavy. Maybe regular straws will work too in your case.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%