Buttercream Transfer Portability

Decorating By pjmrg1 Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 1:11am by TexasSugar

pjmrg1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjmrg1 Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:02am
post #1 of 3

I live in St. Louis, but flying to see family in Phoenix and baking/decorating the cake for a baby shower when I get there. I will have approximately 24 hours to bake and decorate a 2 tier round cake to serve 60 people. I have done this before....but it can get stressful. I want to do a buttercream transfer for the top of the cake, but I would like to do it here at home and transport it with me on the plane in order to save time when I get there. Has anyone #1 ever done this....#2 how did it come out....and #3 how did you pack it so it didn't get messed up.

Or.....is there a way I can do the same thing with Royal icing to make it more portable????

Thanks in advance.

Michelle

PS....I can't wait to explain it to the TSA if they pull me aside for "extra screening"....LOL

2 replies
alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 12:34am
post #2 of 3

If I am in the same situation, I would rather bring the cooled baked cakes, placed them in airtigh containers to retain the moistness and concentrated the decoration in the destination.

The other option should be fondant cut-out instead of frozen buttercream transfer or royal icing.

Sorry could not help that much.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:11am
post #3 of 3

Personally I think you'd have better luck with a color flow piece made with color flow or royal icing. It will dry hard, so you don't have to worry about smooshing it.

I'd probably slide it in a page protector attached to a cake board, then bubble wrap it and pack it in tissue paper. I'd make two or three of what you need just in case of breakage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%