Need Edible Image Help/advice Please

Decorating By momtofourmonkeys Updated 29 May 2009 , 10:44pm by pattycakesnj

momtofourmonkeys Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:08am
post #1 of 11

I just finished two cake orders for tomorrow and will be working outside the home tomorrow, HS graduation tomorrow night, Little League Saturday mid-day, and on Sunday we are going to be having a family birthday party for my 3rd oldest who is turning 4. I was supposed to have all day Saturday to work on his cake before LL and then the time was changed on us and it is now mid-day so that has thrown a kink in my plans. I am thinking I will bake the cake tomorrow afternoon before graduation ceremonies as that doesn't start until 8 pm and I should be home by 2 from work. My son has asked for a golf cake so I am thinking the best and easiest route at this point would be an Edible Image of him playing golf or something like that and have it printed at Wal-Mart.

I have never used an Edible Image before but I have read that they are fairly easy to use. So my questions are:

1. After having it printed how long can I wait before putting it on the cake? (I can either have it printed on my way home from work tomorrow or make a trip in to get it done Sat. night)

2. If I can wait to put it on the cake, how would I store it in the meantime?

3. For those of you that have them printed at Wal-Mart, how do you handle it when transferring it home/bakery?

4. Is there anything else I need to know about them before doing this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

10 replies
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:34am
post #2 of 11

in the future.... i would skip the background paragraph.. 4 times I thought.. do i need this? maybe its cause im tired. sorry.. might be a bit of a vent for you, as it seems time constraints have been inflicted... sorry about that.

anyway... i don't use WM for EIs but this is what I do...

The EI should come in a bag, that can be sealed. You can bring a ziploc along too if you like just to make sure. Then I bring in a flat piece of cardboard to support the image...

it will be fine, just keep it sealed out of light and humidity (make sure inks completely dry before you seal it up.

and apply it to your cake. I would print it the day before just incase anything else goes wrong...

caincakemaker Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:57am
post #3 of 11

[quote="Rocketgirl899"]in the future.... i would skip the background paragraph.. 4 times I thought.. do i need this? maybe its cause im tired. sorry.. might be a bit of a vent for you, as it seems time constraints have been inflicted... sorry about that.

wow, that was a bit harsh, to me at least. I usually just skip over the longer paragraphs that I don't feel are quite necessary.

Anyway, I think it depends on the brand of print. I say this because I have a friend who works for baskin robins and said that they will dry out you MUST keep it in a zip lock. But the store where I actually go the print from (cake store in town) said oh no, just a think covering of saran, not even sealed, was all that I needed until I used it. At which time they suggested putting it in the freezer for a bit to make it come off the paper easier. I had mine printed 3 days before I used it and never sealed it in a bag. Maybe the place where you are getting the print can help?

justducky Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:50am
post #4 of 11

Be careful about thinking you can stop in at wm on the way home and have the image made. Our local grocery store requires 24 hr notice.

kwineinger Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:02am
post #5 of 11

Just wanded to say, I had an EI printed at Walmart on Wed. of this week. They charged me $5 and after printing they placed it in a large freezer bag and sealed it. I plan on using it Saturday. Good luck.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:59am
post #6 of 11

Thank you for all your answers!

Kwineinger, after you got your EI home, did you store it on the counter in the bag or in the freezer?

Caincakemaker, so it sounds like you stored yours on the counter and then just placed in the freezer for a short time to make an easier removal from the baking?

Rocketgirl, thanks for the tips on transport and honesty about my "background". It was harsh though. "Backgrounds" are often common with me. It is who I am. I guess I will skip it next time. As for any last minutes schedule adjustments that come up, let them. I just adjust as needed.

caincakemaker Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:47pm
post #7 of 11

yes, that is exactly what I did. icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:20pm
post #8 of 11

Ah!

thumbsdown.gif

i get the gold star for being a b*tch....

lots of people vent on here and thats what the forums are here for.... to speak our minds. I was just like.. where is the question! but I finally got there.

Anyway.

I am sorry.

kwineinger Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:22pm
post #9 of 11

I have mine on my counter and it seems to be doing fine.

panchanewjersey Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:37pm
post #10 of 11

I use them all the time and no special way for storing just a ziploc bag and a piece of cardboard to support it so that it doesn't bend. Keepi it out on the counter or wherever it doesn't get wet. When your ready to put on cake just be careful when peeling it off paper, sometimes you can tear the actual ep, I have but only at first. Once image is on cake, I had cake in frig and nothing happend to it. So you should do ok.

pattycakesnj Posted 29 May 2009 , 10:44pm
post #11 of 11

I do my own and always store them in ziplock bag. When you are ready to put it on cake, pop it in the freezer for 10 seconds and it will come right off

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%