Cake Civilians!

Lounge By Shelle_75 Updated 2 Jun 2009 , 7:58am by Cake4ever

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:42am
post #1 of 5

Just had to share with my cake friends....

Yesterday morning I posted on my facebook page that I was starting to bake my youngest son's birthday cake for his party on Saturday. Yesterday evening at my oldest son's Cub Scout graduation thingy, one of my facebook friends says "So, did you get L's cake all decorated yet?" I'm like, nooooooooo, I'm not even going to be done baking it until tomorrow. She just got this dumb-founded blank a$$ stare on her face, and I almost laughed out loud. Now, these people all know I do cakes, that I wouldn't just be making a round cake with swirly canned frosting on it (not that there's anything wrong with that, especially on PMS days), and they STILL think you can go from ingredients to decorated cake in less than a day. It takes me almost THREE days, especially with my three year old and one year old "helpers".

Phew. I feel better.

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:33am
post #2 of 5

icon_lol.gif I admire your restraint because I WOULD have laughed out loud at her! My standard reply to ding dongs like that is, "Do you know how many DAYS it takes to make a cake that elaborate?" icon_lol.gif

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 5

I got to thinking maybe she was REALLY confused and was picturing one cake baking in the oven continuously for two days....

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

jo_ann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jo_ann Posted 30 May 2009 , 9:18pm
post #4 of 5

My dh's aunt came over to watch the decorating part of caking. She was here thru the icing, airbrushing, fondant decos, stacking and borders and said she had absolutely no idea how much work went into making a cake. icon_confused.gif . She was so impressed, she especially liked the airbrushing part. LOL.

Jo-Ann

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 2 Jun 2009 , 7:58am
post #5 of 5

My funniest experience was when a bride's friend gave me photos of cakes pulled out of a wedding mag and had the cakes circled that she liked. They were fondant and had gumpaste pieces or other more time consuming work on them and expected it in 2 days! When she first told me, she said she wants a "simple cake" and that's why I agreed at the last minute to do it. I could not help but laugh and had to explain how long this takes and how much those cakes cost, not to mention how much I would charge IF I even had the time. She got what I could make in 2 days and she loved it. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%