How Do I Work In Humidity? With Store Brands? Help!

Decorating By narfletta Updated 29 May 2009 , 7:29pm by narfletta

narfletta Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:13am
post #1 of 5

I am very, very, new to this cake decorating world... and so excited... BUT, I live in FL and have been trying out different fondant recipes, and they're always cracking when I roll them out and try to drape them.. I have only been practicing, and used store brand powdered sugar to be budget-conscious on the "trial cakes". I was just re-reading one of my recipes and it says that store brand is not good to use-- to only use name brand PS. Would it really make that much of a difference?? or is it just the humidity here in FL messing me up??? I know there are other people in FL making beautiful fondant but I don't know how!? Does anyone have a wonderful fondant recipe that is their favorite, and reliable?? Does generic powdered sugar matter? I'm sorry if these are repeated questions, I have not yet been able to read through all of the forum topics, but I'm so tired of trying new recipes! I want to make a cake for my son's bday but feel I don't have the right recipe for it yet. Sigh.. icon_sad.gif

4 replies
ski Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:13pm
post #2 of 5

I have used a dehumidifier on really humid days. Also you might try contacting tonedna, she is a wiz on everything and always very helpful. lives in Florida. Good Luck!

Texas_Rose Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:26pm
post #3 of 5

We have really humid weather here too. I never use the store brand of powdered sugar...I used the Walmart one once and the HEB (our local grocery store) brand another time and neither batch of fondant was great. Here the good brands are only about 50 cents more than the store brand. On most things it doesn't matter but I know that the store brands of powdered sugar aren't pure cane sugar, they've got some beet sugar too.

I don't know which recipes you've tried, but this one works best for me. I use the whole bag of powdered sugar and 1/4 cup of water.

I've noticed that on really humid days or when the AC isn't working right, it is trickier to work with fondant. In my last apartment the air conditioner really didn't work and I ended up buying a made the apartment more comfortable for us and the fondant work better. It also lowered my electric bills, in case that's a consideration. It was expensive though...if you decide to get one, try finding it on craigslist. I see them on craigslist here for about $40. I paid $200 for mine at Home Depot, and I think it did lower my electric bill enough to pay for itself by the end of the summer. It was a pain emptying the bucket a couple of times a day though.

delisa01 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:38pm
post #4 of 5

Hi- I live in FL too. What are you rolling out your fondant out with? I have gotten best results rolling it out with a smudge of shortening spread really thin. Cornstarch will cause cracks if you don't work with your fondant fast enough or you use too much. I have used store brand PS more that not.

narfletta Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 5

thanks so much you guys! i tried rolling out small batches of fondant with everything i could read about- vegetable spray, cornstarch, powd sug, crisco, haha... i don't know if any of them were better than others, but i'm going to try all of these suggestions! the price difference is not huge here either, so for the "real deal" bday cake, i will "splurge"! icon_smile.gif i'm also going to try that recipe as well, i like knowing when people have been successful with recipes, it makes me feel better! thanks so much, and i will post back tomorrow after i try all of these suggestions! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%