Tracking

Business By saberger Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 1:25am by saberger

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 9

How do you keep track of your customers and what they order? For example, do you have it on file the kind of cake they ordered before in case they say...."I liked what I had last time"; or take a picture of it? Do you take people's info when they place an order, no matter what it is?

How do you keep track?

8 replies
kycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kycakediva Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:37am
post #2 of 9

When I take orders, I write it all down. However I do not keep it once the cake is complete. I do take pictures and I keep my pictures in a small photo album. That way people can see what you have done and it helps you remember what you did. Another idea, is to write specifics on the back of the photos.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:44am
post #3 of 9

I have been playing with Access, a database program from Microsoft to set up a customer database that will basically hold a copy of the order form, and a photo.

plus birthday, anniversary, etc dates and contact info, and any "notes" like if they are a pita... lol.

Where I used to work, we took photos of the best cakes... and since we did about 100 orders a week, it was up to the customers to remember what they ordered.

I personally want to be able to tell customers lots of stuff.... but it takes a LOT more time too...

whatever you do.. remember time is money...

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:02am
post #4 of 9

Check into the Cake Boss software.

-Debbie B.

cupcakesnbuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakesnbuttercream Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:09am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

I have been playing with Access, a database program from Microsoft to set up a customer database that will basically hold a copy of the order form, and a photo.

plus birthday, anniversary, etc dates and contact info, and any "notes" like if they are a pita... lol.

Where I used to work, we took photos of the best cakes... and since we did about 100 orders a week, it was up to the customers to remember what they ordered.

I personally want to be able to tell customers lots of stuff.... but it takes a LOT more time too...

whatever you do.. remember time is money...

That sounds like a good idea. Do you send out emails or something around those special dates? Seems to be a good way to have returning customers.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:57am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

do you have it on file the kind of cake they ordered before in case they say...."I liked what I had last time";

Them: I liked what I had last time.
Me: It may be the only cake you've eaten in the past year, but it's not the only cake I've made in the past year ...... you're gonna have to remind me!" icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:12am
post #7 of 9

yyyyeah... if you don't know, I don't know, friend icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:18am
post #8 of 9

I love indydebi! lol. great answer!

cupcakesnbuttercream-- I will send out a first anniversary congratulations.. and maybe a second offering them %10 off or something. I don't want to bombard them with emails... if they keep coming back.. i would be more inclined to email them, also letting them know they can "opt out" at anytime.

If you give them 10% off on their anniversary cake every year (which shouldn't be a big cake) you make them feel special...and then don't really need to offer other discounts on larger orders.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 1:25am
post #9 of 9

Thanks! Is it easy to set up in access?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%