Nic Lodge Gp Frustrations

Decorating By alanaj Updated 31 May 2009 , 9:01am by Cake4ever

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:03am
post #1 of 14

Hi all,
First of all, did the search function change in regards to forums? I searched Nic Lodge, Lodge, Lodge gumpaste and I got no search results for forums but I know very well that there have been threads on this!

Anyway, my issue is this. I made a batch of Nic Lodge gumpaste and didn't add the last cup of p.s. as per other cc member's recommendations. I wrapped it really well and let it rest but the it still came out rock hard. I kneaded more shortening in but it's terrible. I've been picking little gumpaste "rocks" out if it all night to no avail and it's really frustrating. I'm trying to make some figures and they look like bumpy cr*p. Does anyone have any tips or tricks or should I just trash the whole batch and start over?

Thanks!
Alana

13 replies
krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:10am
post #2 of 14

maybe microwave it a couple of seconds i do that to my mmf goodluck

alanaj Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:12am
post #3 of 14

Thanks, krissycupcakes. I did try microwaving for a bit and I still have lots of rocks. Maybe I should try liquefying it! icon_smile.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:13am
post #4 of 14

It sounds like you needed to sift your powdered sugar, not sure if you can save it or not.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:39am
post #5 of 14

I try hard not to scrape any dried stuff from the bottom of the bowl...I've found that, that tends to make lumps...

Not sure if you can save it. Measurements were right...did you measure the egg whites? I always measure them out because there is a big difference in egg sizes.

Jen

mariateresa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariateresa Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:55am
post #6 of 14

You can ask directly to Nich.

At Facebook ---->Chef Nicholas Lodge
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Chef-Nicholas-Lodge/97934495366?ref=nf

You can find him also at Twitter!Nicholas Lodge (ChefLodge) on Twitter
http://twitter.com/ChefLodge

alanaj Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:44am
post #7 of 14

Thanks all! I don't think it's salvagable (sp?) but I've mixed what isn't to lumpy w/fondant to make the figures. I will definitely ask Nic and start off with a lot less ps next time. I found that the inside of the gp was okay (still too much ps but workable) but since I kneaded it the rock hard outer shell mixed in and made the "rocks". Does that make sense? I love how inexpensive and white it is but boy is it frustrating when you need figures dry for a Saturday cake!

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:50am
post #8 of 14

i had the same problem. I followed the recipe and it was rock hard! It is funny because I have used it before and it was so amazing and pliable, but never made it. It seemed easy enough, but....I guess I was wrong. Into the trash it went. Was it tylose that was used in it? Whatever the special ingredient was, I have no more! So I can't even try to make it again. icon_sad.gif

alanaj Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:53am
post #9 of 14

Yeah, it's tylose. I think I have enough left to make at least a half batch. I think I'll try again tomorrow. I think the recipe has way too much powdered sugar for some reason.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:56am
post #10 of 14

First batch I made was perfect, 2nd batch was too moist. The only inconsistency would be the egg sizes. I kept the 2nd batch and kneaded a bit more PS in and a bit more tylose and it seems to be working ok. Not as good as the first batch though.

Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

LadyGDiver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyGDiver Posted 31 May 2009 , 3:37am
post #11 of 14

Hi Everyone,
Nicholas saw this post and ask me to throw some ideas out. First, not a very good idea to microwave anything you have egg whites in unless you want a gumpaste omelet. May I ask what brand of Tylose you are using? There are some brands of Tylose on the market that just don't work and cause more headaches than anything. Nicholas only uses JEM and Confectionary Arts brands. Are you measuring or weighing your ingredients? If you are measuring maybe try weighing the ingredients as this is the most accurate way. I hope this will help. If you have any questions you can always catch me here or email me at [email protected]

Have a wonderful weekend,
Nancy

chrissypie Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:40am
post #12 of 14

Hello,

Yes, I used confectionary arts brand tylose. I think the problem was too much powdered sugar. I would like to try again but no more tylose and I don't have access to more! Well, maybe will try again in the future, but good to know the brand I had was a recommended one!

Thanks!

chrissypie Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:47am
post #13 of 14

Hi Again,

I was wondering, can Gum Arabic be used in place of tylose in the gumpaste recipe? And if so, how much would be used? I have a 2 oz. container of it and not sure what to do with it! I only have about 1 and a half TBS left of my tylose!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 31 May 2009 , 9:01am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGDiver

Hi Everyone,
Nicholas saw this post and ask me to throw some ideas out. First, not a very good idea to microwave anything you have egg whites in unless you want a gumpaste omelet. May I ask what brand of Tylose you are using? There are some brands of Tylose on the market that just don't work and cause more headaches than anything. Nicholas only uses JEM and Confectionary Arts brands. Are you measuring or weighing your ingredients? If you are measuring maybe try weighing the ingredients as this is the most accurate way. I hope this will help. If you have any questions you can always catch me here or email me at [email protected]

Have a wonderful weekend,
Nancy

Wow, more than a bit thrilled here that he took the time to address our issues. Thank you both! I will try weighing it next time and see what happens. I also use Confectionary Arts brand tylose powder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%