Business Name Question

Business By janelwaters Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm by jammjenks

janelwaters Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:54am
post #1 of 17

I am desperately trying to come up with a business name - I saw another thread and didn't want to hijack it, so I decided to start my own.

I have finally found a commercial kitchen to rent in downtown St Augustine. I don't want to do anything with the street name b/c I don't know how long I will really be there.

I will definately stay in St Augustine, Florida which is known as the First City or Ancient City and this whole area is called the First Coast.

I have one daughter whose name is MacKenzie. My grandmother was a cake decorator as well and my grandpa used to call her Toots. (Just a couple ideas.)

I do cakes and cookies and other sweets etc and then just some VERY light catering - Mostly cakes.

Thank you so much for any input!!! I LOVE CC!!!

16 replies
MACakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:02am
post #2 of 17

hmmmm... I would definitely go with something personal. Picking a name related to a city or town limits you if the wind blows you to another part of the world. You can always take a name that is personal with you.

Find something like "Toots Treats" that is related to a nick name that you have, not necessarily grandma's, unless you want to do a tribute to her.

What ever you come up with make sure YOU love it. Input from others is great but you are putting your name behind it so really really own it! Good luck with your new business icon_razz.gif

blondeez Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:04am
post #3 of 17

I love St Augustine. I use to go there all the time when I lived in Kingsland, GA. BTW I just had to say that. As for your business name MMMMM!!!!! MacKenzie's Cakes comes to mind or First City Cakes.

Uniqueask Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:11am
post #4 of 17

I also thought og Janel and MacKenzie's Sweet Confections or something in that range Just an idea

jlsheik Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #5 of 17

You will know it when it comes to you!!
I had a dream a few years ago after just starting to decorate, not even thinking at that point that I would some day have my own business and my two daughters in my dream named my kitchen " A Sweet Success" and when it came time to really open that business I already had it!
I think it just has to fit and when it fit's you will know it. Good luck!!

jaybug Posted 31 May 2009 , 2:08am
post #6 of 17

How about Sweet Toot's or Toot's Temptations , Toot's Sweet Tooth or...Heavenly Bites

Swede-cakes Posted 31 May 2009 , 11:51am
post #7 of 17

What about Toot's Sweets? (Tout de suite means quickly or right away, so I'm not sure how that could play into your company...)

Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:20pm
post #8 of 17

I'm thinking of MacKenzie's Confectionary, Sugar Coast, MacKenzies's Bite, Ancient Bite and Touch of Toots

Hopefully that can help =]

JGMB Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:40pm
post #9 of 17

Coast Confections or Ancient Wonders Bakery??

Rylan Posted 31 May 2009 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 17

I'm liking the Coast Confections too.

TamathaV Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 17

Janel, first I have to say you do STUNNING work! Personally, I think First City Cakes or First City Cakery has a great ring to it. Simple and easy to remember. Couldn't figure out why at first, then I realized...OH, DUH - Charm City Cakes. Great associative identity right off the bat but not too close to the "Ace". You may want to do a domain name search on whatever you decide to see if you'd get the web presence you need and want?

I love your daughter's name as well as the nickname "Toots" but I'm thinking that those may be a bit cutesy. I don't know, though, maybe you want that? Depends on what style you want to convey. I would want my name to portray my body of work and yours is quite elegant. I think if you go with something too cutesy then it can be limiting in the way your customers see you. Feel free to tell me if I'm full of it, though, since it' not like I've been thereicon_smile.gif

Just a thought - maybe you could name a favorite/most requested design after your daughter. I think cakes do have personalities! I call the one in my avatar "The McKenna" after MY daughtericon_smile.gif

Good luck!

dawncr Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 17
Originally Posted by Swede-cakes

What about Toot's Sweets? (Tout de suite means quickly or right away, so I'm not sure how that could play into your company...)

*That* is a brilliant idea.

TamathaV Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:22pm
post #13 of 17

Oops, forgot to mention...say it out loud a LOT. Make sure it rolls off your tongue when you answer the phoneicon_smile.gif

janelwaters Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:39pm
post #14 of 17

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR THE HELP!!! yes, I was yelling, I was just so exicted to get all the help!!

jlsheik acutally have the best advice when she said "you will know it when it comes to you". I sat there and thought "yea! right!" I went and started looking at a magazine and an ad for the Honda CRV caught my eye!

I came up with and I love... CRAVE confections. all of my friends start their requests by saying "I have been CRAVING your chocolate cake/cookies/etc." and I just thought it fit!

I have done all my google searches/ LLC searches etc and am filing my LLC docs tomorrow.

My second runner up was First City Cakes b/c of the Charm City cakes thing.

thank you all so much!!! This website ROCKS as do all of you!!!

TamathaV Posted 31 May 2009 , 8:47pm
post #15 of 17

Crave Confections is a great choice!

-Tubbs Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:41pm
post #16 of 17

There is a Crave Cupcakes in my city - not that that would be a problem for you - different country!! lol. Just make sure you check that nobody else has the same name anywhere locally.

jammjenks Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 5:51pm
post #17 of 17

I like it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%