Question About A Tip Size

Baking By ghammer Updated 29 May 2009 , 8:17pm by Honeydukes

ghammer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghammer Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 10

Hello! I posted this same post in the "How Do I?" forum but people are reading and not responding so I thought maybe no one knew at the moment. I know there's few people who use this tip on cookies and maybe they might see this post here.

I bought a 1s tip today and tried using it for detail work on a cookie. I tried both glace and a RI recipe and both immediately got clogged. I don't think I even obtained a drip from the tip and I squeeze so hard I nearly busted the bag.

Can anyone please help me with tips and/or suggestions for making this work? I would love love love to be able to make use of this size.

I am only a hobby baker but really enjoy it and if there's anything that can make this easier I would like to know.

Thanks in advance,
Gia

9 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:08am
post #2 of 10

Anytime I use a tip smaller than a 2, I squeeze the icing through a thoroughly cleaned (and sanitized and air dried (kept aside just for this purpose)) stocking....the support hose have a finer weave on them and make for really clog-free work.

hth

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:18am
post #3 of 10

definitelt sift your sugar before you make your icing. The tiniest clump can cause the biggest mess!

blondeez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blondeez Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:20am
post #4 of 10

I dont know but will give you a bump, so someone else may answer

ghammer Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:21am
post #5 of 10

Thank you for your replies. I will try the pantyhose trick I guess. Couldn't hurt to try!

I sifted the powdered sugar before making the glace and RI. I tried them at separate times and different consistencies.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:33am
post #6 of 10

Hello, if memory serves me correctly, (I'm from the Wilton Era)LOL.
With the 1s tip which is a very small round tip, it has to be a thinned down RI, the smallest tip I've use for drop strings was a 1, I added a little piping gel to the RI for elasticity. hth. Review info from Wilton or maybe Sugarcraft-online.
Hammy

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:54am
post #7 of 10

I replied to your PM about this, and I see that you've gotten some very good tips in this thread. I so rarely get a clog, and the glace that I use to do outlines is thickened until it's the consistency of peanut butter. Maybe because I'm mixing, mixing, mixing it helps break up lumps? I just use a bowl and a spoon.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:02pm
post #8 of 10

I use my PME 0 and OO a lot and like All4cake, use the stocking trick and it works like a charm! You take the new knee high, wash it in dish soap, rinsing very thoroughly and dry it (same idea All4cake talked about). Put this over a tall glass, pulling the excess over the top so you can easily access the bottom of the stocking. Pour your RI in, twist the top, then put a piece of plastic wrap around that area to protect your hand from any icing as you squeeze the RI through. The stocking catches those little bits that would clog your small tips and makes life SO much easier! icon_biggrin.gif

ghammer Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:09pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you all so very much for taking the time to reply to my question icon_smile.gif I will definitely try the pantyhose

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 10

You've gotten some excellent suggestions. (No surprise. icon_biggrin.gif ) I think your icing might need thinning, as was suggested. You should never have to squeeze so hard that your bag breaks or your hands hurt.

Once your bags are filled, keep them in a tall glass with a damp paper towel at the bottom. This will keep the icing in the tip moist. Also have a toothpick or needle (for those tiny tips) handy to poke the holes open.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%