Question About Tip Size 1S

Decorating By ghammer Updated 29 May 2009 , 2:38am by DitzyDame

ghammer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ghammer Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 11

Hello! I bought a 1s tip today and tried using it for detail work on a cookie. I tried both glace and a RI recipe and both immediately got clogged. I don't think I even obtained a drip from the tip and I squeeze so hard I nearly busted the bag.

Can anyone please help me with tips and/or suggestions for making this work? I would love love love to be able to make use of this size.

I am only a hobby baker but really enjoy it and if there's anything that can make this easier I would like to know.

Thanks in advance,
Gia

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:03am
post #2 of 11

Is that the one that's like the little baby teeny tiny rose tip? It's fabulous for inscriptions & writing and scroll work & stuff like that. Is that the correct one?

You couldn't get anything out of it? Is it defective?

I keep a hat pin around to break up clumps or I seive my icing.

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:06am
post #3 of 11

No no no no I was thinking of 101s I think.

I didn't sleep real good last night so I 'm kinda loopy but I don't think I've heard of a 1s? I couldn't find it on Baker's Ultimate but...what does it look like--could you hum a few bars?

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #4 of 11

Are you talking about the tiny tiny circular hole #1 tip? I've found with it you're got to be 100% sure your icing is 100% smooth, and at a thin enough consistency that it'll go through. It's amazing for detail work, but can be a bit of a pain to work with for sure.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:09am
post #5 of 11

I use antonia's royal and the 1s tip all the time. You cant use unthinned ri or you will have to squeeze too hard. I use it thinned not as thin as flood but usually thinner than regular outlining...I've never had much of a clogging problem, every so often you will get one, I just take a sewing needle swirl it in through the tip and then keep on going.

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:11am
post #6 of 11

So what's a 1s? It can't be smaller than a 00? <thud> >faint< oh my oh my

bbmom Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:21am
post #7 of 11

Its the wilton brand and its a tiny bit smaller than 1, as far as my cake store says wilton doesnt make a 0. If you look at a 1 and a 1s you really dont see a difference, but when piping you can tell its skinnier.

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:25am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmom

Its the wilton brand and its a tiny bit smaller than 1, as far as my cake store says wilton doesnt make a 0. If you look at a 1 and a 1s you really dont see a difference, but when piping you can tell its skinnier.

'Cause I promise 0 and 00 are freaking small enough.

So it's probably like an 0 or something then huh, a Wilton 0.

Cool thanks

bbmom Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 11

I went in asking for a 0 or 00 and they did have it in a different brand but it was like $5 or $6 so I went with the 1s for $1.49. I might break down and try the smaller one at some point.

-K8memphis Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:32am
post #10 of 11

Oh you for sure gotta seive that icing--like use the toe of a brand new stocking or a fine mesh seive.

But hey, all that to say try a 101s it's possibly my favorite tip in the world.

DitzyDame Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DitzyDame Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:38am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghammer

Hello! I bought a 1s tip today and tried using it for detail work on a cookie. I tried both glace and a RI recipe and both immediately got clogged. I don't think I even obtained a drip from the tip and I squeeze so hard I nearly busted the bag.

Can anyone please help me with tips and/or suggestions for making this work? I would love love love to be able to make use of this size.

I am only a hobby baker but really enjoy it and if there's anything that can make this easier I would like to know.

Thanks in advance,
Gia

I've had trouble with it too. I've found however that if you sift your sugar and thin it down some it flows better. I honestly don't use it too much because I don't have patience. Good luck and happy piping!! icon_razz.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%