Have Almost No Supplies, House Cake Ideas.

Decorating By MrsMabe Updated 29 May 2009 , 4:37pm by djs328

MrsMabe Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:36pm
post #1 of 8

So I'm at the end of an international move. My husband and I are about to move in to a house and will have a party. I want to make a cake that looks like a house. The problem: most of my decorating supplies won't be here for another month. I have one coupler, one bag, and a few tips. I don't even have a mixer for making bc or a rolling pin for my mmf. So, does anyone have ideas for how I can make a house?

I'm not sure what tips, they'll be here next week, but I think it's a 3, a 20, and a rose tip. Maybe a few others. Most are with the majority of our stuff, though.

Oh, and I planned on two 9x13 cakes, each cut in half and stacked (so it's like four layers) with maybe graham crackers as the roof.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

7 replies
MrsMabe Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:38pm
post #2 of 8

Oh, and I really want to wow people. This is my first chance to show new friends what I can do!

bonniebakes Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 8

maybe you could check to see what kind of pre-made candy you can find to help you decorate....

jlynnw Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 8

The rose tip can be used for siding, run in long straight lines. The shingles could be done the same in short overlaping lines. You could use a parchment cone and cut a v out to make leave or even in a pinch you could use wax paper. That is about all I can think of.

Have fun and relax a bit. It must be hard to get a cake going after a move like that.

djs328 Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 8

You could decorate with melted chocolate - use a heavy duty freezer bag to put it in and snip the tip to pipe it...you can use it for 'glue' to apply candy, etc. Who doesn't love chocolate? You could even make 'walls' out of chocolate - colored to match your new house?

kakeladi Posted 29 May 2009 , 12:55pm
post #6 of 8

Your idea (crackers for roof) coupled w/the suggestions sounds like you could come up with a rather good looking houseicon_smile.gif
It won't be easy but maybe make b'cream by hand Using a wire whip? icon_sad.gif Or borrow a mixer? A cake just has to have icing! icon_smile.gif
The crackers & choco for the roof. Melted choco slabs for walls held in place w/a little b'cream. Can you buy any fondant?
Does any of this help spark some ideas for you?

MrsMabe Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:25pm
post #7 of 8

Wow, thanks for all the great ideas! Do you think Pillsbury frosting with powdered sugar added to thicken it up would be good enough? I love the chocolate idea. I could get some candy melts too. Yeah, I think if I use primarily chocolate I can make this work. With candies and things to help. You guys rock, thanks!

djs328 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 8

Do you have (or could you borrow?) a hand mixer? If so, you could do a whipped cream icing, easier to do w a hand mixer than buttercream...
Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%