How Does Sam's Club Bc Hold Up In Hot Weather?? Black Ribbon

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm by KathyTW

CakeDiva73 Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 10

I have a 3 tiered cake due Saturday and it looks like it will be 100 degrees out. I need to deliver about 15 away, to an outside location (although the cake table will be in the shade.)

Has anyone used Sam's Club But-r-cream in this kind of heat? How does it hold up? I had planned on chilling it overnight, using the SPS system and a well air-conditioned car but still have concerns.....

Also, because of my big fat mouth (long story, I talked bride into fondant ribbon instead of using satin) there will be a black fondant ribbon at the base of each tier.

Can this still be fridged? Will it bleed? Will I have cardiac arrest before the weekend is thru?? icon_smile.gif thx

9 replies
kylekaitlyn Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 10

Great questions. I'm sorry I can't help answer them, however I can offer encouragement. I'm sure everything will be just fine. Somehow everything usually finds a way of working out in the end. The cake will be beautiful, the day will be cool, and you will end it with a nice cocktail!!! thumbs_up.gif

KathyTW Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 10

I haven't tested the Sams but-r-cream in the heat yet but what I have experienced is that it is pretty tolerant of everything....it crusts so well that I imagine it would hold up to just about everything!

Test it if you have time....pipe something on a plate and stick in an oven that's roughly 100' and see how it holds up.

good luck and I look forward to hearing how it does.

3GCakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 10

I use Sam's in a hot room with several teenagers for a cake club.

For piping, it does get soft but is better if you can keep your bag refrigerated.

I've never had it slide off a cake. I would think it would hold up pretty well.

Seriously....once you hit the 100 degree mark, you just do what you can. We are cake decorators, not magicians. It's cake, it's icing. Both unwieldly and meltable. People have to understand that, and so do we.

Don't be hard on yourself, use the Sam's and do what you can. You should be fine. Also, I've used Satin Ice fondant and it didn't seem to bleed. I think it would depend more on refrigerating the cake and taking it out than it would the actual hot weather. I would not refrigerate the cake once I put the fondant ribbon on. Keep it cool, but don't refrigerate.

CakeDiva73 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:24pm
post #5 of 10

Excellent tips, thank you....and duh, of course I could just put the ribbon on prior to delivery instead of the night before and then not have to worry about bleeding, etc.

Since it is 100 right now (Lordy, Lordy.) I am going to do as you said and semi-frost the side of a cake pan and set it outside and see what happens....I'll let ya'll know! thanks for all the help and good wishes! icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:33pm
post #6 of 10

Just an update; I frosted a bowl with Sams BC and put it outside yesterday in 96 degree weather - totally forgot about it until right now and even after sitting out all night and then in the hot sun this morning, it didn't budge! whooo hooo icon_smile.gif

KathyTW Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 10

Great news...thanks for the update!

stephaniescakenj Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:48pm
post #8 of 10

ha!!! that is too funny. I'm just imagining Sam's BC surviving a nuclear war now icon_biggrin.gif

Dolledupcakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 9:40pm
post #9 of 10

I buy the But-R-cream from a cake supply store called Decor in La Habra. They charge me $5.89/ 2lbs. I just bought the 28 lbs bucket for $50 from Decor. It was then I realized the bucket of buttercream (but-r-cram) was from WalMart/Sams club. Do all Sams Club sell this buttercream? It's my favorite by far and I would like to start saving money... Does anyone know for sure if Sams Club sell this 28 lbs of But-R-Cream?

KathyTW Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 10

That's where I get mine.....I think all of them will sell it to you along with all their other decorating supplies (with one or two exceptions). There's another great thread about this that even lists everything they carry....check it out:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-617422-.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%