My Newest "trick"

Decorating By leah_s Updated 27 May 2016 , 11:41pm by leah_s

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 5:54pm
post #91 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria_Campos

Ditto, so glad I found Planet Cake a few years ago!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippi

Rylan your cakes never have a buldge what is your trick??? icon_smile.gif

Ganache is my only trick. I no longer dam, I no longer let it set...just ganache.

You do this for every flavor? Even a white or nonchocolate type of cake?

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 6:19pm
post #92 of 197

So Leah, would you recommend a smaller tile or just leaving it to settle on it's own?

lyly03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyly03 Posted 11 Sep 2010 , 1:25am
post #93 of 197

OMG, I am sooo excited to try this tip! I have a few large wedding cakes to do in the next month and I can't wait to try it. Unfortunately the hardware store is closed for the night so I have to wait until morning, but I plan to do a trial run tomorrow! Thanks so much for posting. icon_biggrin.gif

KMKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KMKakes Posted 23 Dec 2010 , 10:05pm
post #94 of 197

Wow. I ran across this post looking for something else. Nice tip. I never knew of or heard of waiting for your cakes to settle before decorating them. I only knew to wait for the cake to cool, then crumb coat, and decorate. What awesome things you learn by becoming a student of the trade! Thanks LeahS for the post!

Spills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spills Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 8:01pm
post #95 of 197

I too have cake bulge issues, and have seemed to master it for buttercream covered cakes using this method... Is there a trick to not getting the bulge after you cover the cake with fondant? (and no, my fondant isn't an inch thick icon_wink.gif )

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 8:36pm
post #96 of 197

Should work the same.

MelissaMay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaMay Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:16pm
post #97 of 197

WOW! what a great thread...thanks Leah_s.....I feel like I just cross my fingers and pray for NO "bulge" ...LOL Will be using this method from now on!

strathmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strathmore Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:43pm
post #98 of 197

My trick is to put the cake on a rack in a shopping bag tent - this allows the cake to cool without loosing moisture but without squishing the edges when I wrap in glad wrap especially square ones. The bag is not touching the cake but allows the moisture to run down the sides to the bottom so I don't get a soggy cake but its in a moist environment.

cakedoff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoff Posted 19 Jan 2011 , 9:58pm
post #99 of 197

Wow...this is a long feed of posts, so if this is a repeat...forgive me... I put my dammed, torted cakes in a food safe plastic beg...suck the air out with a 'dust buster' type vacuum and let them sit for a couple of hours to overnight, depending on the needs of the job...just sayin'

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Jan 2011 , 2:15pm
post #100 of 197

Thanks for sharing that tip!! I have a 13 inch ceramic tile set aside just for that purpose!! icon_biggrin.gif

grammy1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammy1963 Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 1:42pm
post #101 of 197

It is so nice to have cake buddies. The bulging has been a problem in my wedding cakes especially when someone wants thick filling. Is it too late todo it today when I must finish the deco today?? Tomorrow morning is a 40 mile delivery. Hope to hear from someone today. It is 9:40AM Thurs. 3/31 Thanks, Grammy1963

leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 1:56pm
post #102 of 197

The cake needs to settle at least a couple of hours. Longer is better. You can also crumb coat in the thicker bc you use for the dam. That will help Also using cake spackle for the dam work well.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:31pm
post #103 of 197

We just built our house & have leftover tile! Thanks for the tip!

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 5:49pm
post #104 of 197

I saw this post last year and ever since I have been using the tiles! It really works great, if I have a smaller cake I use the same 12" tile but make sure I center it and it is level. Tried and true, love it! Thanks Leah!

Whimsygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whimsygirl Posted 3 Apr 2011 , 6:24pm
post #105 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by pouchet82

Thanks for sharing! I wil definitely try this out! The old owners of our house left us tons of tiles in our basement- all different sizes, so at least I will have a use for them now

So glad to've learned this was not a personal issue, LOL!
Thank you all for sharing your experiences and tips. Thank you Leah_s for your prompt reply.
I hope I get a reply concerning the "bulging" of the fondant while applying it to the cakes.
Love this forum'
I made a cake this past week, and would love to share pictures of it, but don't know where to post them on this site?
Sary

grammy1963 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grammy1963 Posted 6 Apr 2011 , 2:53am
post #106 of 197

This is regarding cake bulging. I wrote last week about a cake I had to do that day. I thickened the frosting for the middle of the cake and then I placed a cookie sheet over the large layers and placed 2- 2lb. bags of 10x sugar evenly spaced on the cookie sheet and let it sit for an hour before the finalfrosting and assembly. It worked beautifully. I do not know how heavy a tile is but with the 4 lbs of sugar and the cookie sheet I'm sure it was at least 5 lbs. I travelled 40 miles the following day. But took the precaution to assemble the 4 tiers at the reception to be on the safe side.
No cake mishaps icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Jacscakes213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jacscakes213 Posted 17 Apr 2011 , 6:12pm
post #107 of 197

So finding this thread was a Godsend!!!! I made a three tiered butter creme covered cake with indydeb's butter creme (which is now my go to bc) .and filled with the bc and Fresh raspberry filling. I cut up the raspberries and drained them well torted dammed and fill all three layers.....I think I put too much filling in the top tier b/c it decided to come out...as I was putting the cake in the car I look at the back and the raspberry juice was dripping out the back of the cake. Ugghhhh......en the top tier just kept settling more and more....it was a friends anniversary party...they loved the cake, the dripping was at the back but I was a shaking nervous wreck..this is only my second bc covered cake and I am still trying to get it all right....thanks for the tips

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 9:04am
post #108 of 197

I recently had a fondant blow out on a 14" cake (which was really devastating for me as it was the bottom tier of a wedding cake - I ended up having to do that tier as a fake). I always put a tile on top of my cakes to settle them. So I'm thinking that it may be because of condensation. I use a really thick dam and I trim my cakes as well (after they've settled). I realized after pulling my fondant off after the blow out that I had cut away too much of the dam and maybe that was part of the reason too. Plus the cake seemed 'wet' inside.
So Leah, I totally trust your advice.. can you help me with a few questions and then maybe I can figure out what I'm doing wrong?

1. Do you use refrigerate your cakes at all throughout the process? Or freeze them after baking them?
2. Do you use a really thick bc dam (can actually be formed into a ball)?
3. Do you trim your cakes after they've settled? If so, how do you avoid cutting away too much of the dam?

I'm so disappointed that I'm almost ready to give up caking. If I do make another wedding cake, I am DEFINATELY trying the SPS as the transport was sooo stressful, even with the bottom tier as fake. So Leah, if you can help me at all, I'd so appreciate it. Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 9:06am
post #109 of 197

Oh Leah .. one more question, I use Indydebby's buttercream that seems to crust really quickly, so I crumb coat then apply the fondant right away. Do you think that the crusting of the buttercream may be causing problems with the fondant not sticking well enough? What kind of buttercream do you use?

leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 12:58pm
post #110 of 197

1. I NEVER REFRIGERATE CAKE. Settling will NOT occur in the refrigerator. I do freeze after baking.

2. Yes I use a thick dam.

3. No I don't trim the cakes after settling. Trim what exactly?

4. I use Charlotte's Whipped Cream Butrte3rcream. It's pretty not non-crusting. I get a good freeze on it after it's on the cake before I put on the fondant, so it's not the least bit sticky or even soft when the fondant goes on. As it comes to room temp it grabs and holds the fondant. That happens pretty quickly.

I'm amazed that a fondant blow put (a big bubble, I assuming) was devasting enough to ruin the entire tier. Even with a large bubble I've had to poke a pin (or two) hole in it and ease out the air.

shimaohana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shimaohana Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 1:52pm
post #111 of 197

HI,
I'm new to Cake Central. So far, everything I have seen or read is wonderful.

Leah, is the buttercream recipe (Charlotte's) you refer to on Cake Central?

Thank you,
ShimaOhana

leah_s Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:02pm
post #112 of 197

Yes. Just look in the recipe section.

PS I cut the fat to 3/4 pound per pound of powdered sugar.

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 2:34pm
post #113 of 197

Leah, is Charlotte's recipe the same/similar to the Whipped Cream Buttercream that I posted. I cannot find hers in the recipe sections under her name. Will you tell me how her's is listed exactly. I would love to compare the two recipes. Thanks.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 6:47pm
post #114 of 197

Leah, thank you SO much! icon_biggrin.gif

I was settling my filled cakes in the fridge for a day or so (with the tile for a couple hours, then without the tile for the remainder), then letting it come to room temperature before covering in fondant (then I kept the cakes out of the fridge after that). I will definitely stop doing that, it makes sense now that I think about it, that the cake won't settle in the fridge because the bc will be hard the whole time, then soften once removed, therefore probably ooze out after being covered in fondant. So, from now on, I'll just leave the cakes out on the counter with the tiles on top to settle.

In Sharon's DVDs, she told us to trim the sides of the cakes after it's settled so that the sides won't have the bulge that will form after settling. Do you get a bit of a buldge after settling that you cut away? She also suggested the flash freezing for 10 minutes after crumb coating and covering with fondant. So you do this part then right? This may cause a problem for me because my bc will crust, then I have to wet it again and I noticed too much water can also cause a problem.

Leah, please just let me know now if I'm on the right track and if I understand the process now and what I may have done wrong. Maybe I won't be giving up after all. Never refrigerating or freezing is probably the answer to my problem (except for the flash freeze) - room temperature the whole time when covering a cake in fondant. Condensation seems to have been my problem, it is the enemy!

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 6:47pm
post #115 of 197

I found the anwer I was looking for. This is the same recipe originally published by "Charlotte" and was posted on the wilton forums by someone else.

The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 4 Sep 2011 , 6:51pm
post #116 of 197

Sorry Leah, I just noticed.. you "do" freeze after baking. I was doing that too, so I will continue, but I'll just make sure then that the cakes are completely at room temperature and dry before starting.

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 12:12am
post #117 of 197

Leah, I was hoping you could clarify a couple thing for me? I just did a wedding cake with fondant leaves layered over a fondant-covered cake. One side totally bulged out as I was applying the leaves (thankfully, the leaves hid the misshapen cake side). I had refrigerated it after fillling and icing, which is apparently a no-no--won't be doing that again! But I was wondering about the freezing stage. Is this done with a cake right out of the oven? For how long? Is it thawed completely before icing? It sounds like it's allowed to settle at room temp (again, for how long?) and then it's put back in the freezer after the BC is applied. How long does it stay in the freezer before the fondant is put on? Just want to make sure this doesn't happen with the next cake since I may not be lucky enough to have something with which to cover it up. Thanks so much!!!

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 2:02am
post #118 of 197

1. bake cake
2. Cool as little or as long as you need to
3. torte if desired, wrap and freeze. You can freeze any amount of time from 1 night to several weeks.
4. take out of freezer, fill, re-wrap (you can use the wrap you just took off)
5. weight the top with a ceramic tile and let sit at least 2 hours and overnight if possible
6. crumb coat
7. put on layer of bc. I do not wait any time at all after crumb coating.
8. If it's a bc cake, you're done.
9. If it's to be fondanted, then put the cake in the freezer, until it's very firm. I generally allow 1/2 hour.
10. Roll out fondant. Pull cake from freezer. Put fondant on cake.

leah_s Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 2:05am
post #119 of 197

1. bake cake
2. Cool as little or as long as you need to
3. torte if desired, wrap and freeze. You can freeze any amount of time from 1 night to several weeks.
4. take out of freezer, fill, re-wrap (you can use the wrap you just took off)
5. weight the top with a ceramic tile and let sit at least 2 hours and overnight if possible
6. crumb coat
7. put on layer of bc. I do not wait any time at all after crumb coating.
8. If it's a bc cake, you're done.
9. If it's to be fondanted, then put the cake in the freezer, until it's very firm. I generally allow 1/2 hour.
10. Roll out fondant. Pull cake from freezer. Put fondant on cake.

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 2:25am
post #120 of 197

save

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%