My Newest "trick"

Decorating By leah_s Updated 27 May 2016 , 11:41pm by leah_s

blueirus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueirus Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:16pm
post #61 of 197

Dumb question but what is an "Agbay" because finding an easier way to level would be awesome!=)

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #62 of 197

Here is a link to the agbay website. http://www.agbayproducts.com/

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:21pm
post #63 of 197

awesome, glad i dropped by today. have never pushed down on my cakes before, only had one filled cake bulge before-thought i was due to humidity! on my easter cake i will have a go....as soon as i get back from the hardware store!! thanks for the tip! icon_rolleyes.gif

PDXSweetTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PDXSweetTreats Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:30pm
post #64 of 197

Leah_s, thanks for this tip! I saw you mention this a few days ago -- sounds perfect -- no super long waits. I have a cake coming up next weekend and plan to try this method on it.

Thanks, again! :0

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:16pm
post #65 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueirus

Dumb question but what is an "Agbay" because finding an easier way to level would be awesome!=)

Agbay is THE best cake leveler ever made. (Not that I'm biased or anything) icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif I can't live without mine! icon_lol.gif

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:22am
post #66 of 197

I agree with Rylan.....Ganache rocks!!!!!! I got turned on to that by Sharon Z in one of her videos....sorry Sharon, I can't remember which one at this moment!! Old age brain cramp!!

ginachambers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginachambers Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:58pm
post #67 of 197

Thank you for this great tip - I like some of the others just thought the "buldge" was from humidity. Even tho I pushed down - I obviously did not give it enough time to settle.

cakemamaP Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemamaP Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:53pm
post #68 of 197

So this may not be the right place to ask this question....but I'm new and it came to mind while reading these posts.....how long will a cake stay fresh from being filled wrapped and settled to iced, covered and decorated to serving?? I keep seeing advice of not doing it all in one day but worry if I stretch it out the cake won't stay fresh. But also have heard that other than looking pretty that that is what fondant is for. I have a cake to take to a baby shower for Sunday...could I start today??

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:49pm
post #69 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I've been doing this for several weeks, and it's working well, so I'm ready to share. It's my way to get rid of the dreaded bulge.

In culinary school we were taught to place a cardboard on top of the cake and push down hard - right to the point BEFORE the cake breaks. It takes a bit of experience. LOL. Then remove the cardboard of course.

This works better.

Put the cake on a board. Fill. Wrap in plastic wrap. Then put a ceramic tile on top. Wait 2 or 3 hours. The ceramic tile should be about the size of the cake. We have ceramic tile in our house, so there were leftover tiles that are now my cake "tools."

I used to fill wrap, put a paperback book on top and wait overnight. This works better.

Hi Leah...

? for you... I just did as you say here (well what I THOUGHT IT SAID ) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I torted... filled... put a cake pan of the same size on top with 2 cans of beans for weigh and placed in on the fridge... it's been there for about 3 1/2 hrs.....

the fact that I didn't wrap it... is that going to cause me problems?
I just looked at the cake and it's still nice and shaped just like I left it....
is that right?

TIA Dalis

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:53pm
post #70 of 197

1. I didn't say anything about cake pans and cans of beans.
2. NEVER put a cake in the fridge unless it has a perishible filling.
3. Yes, always wrap in plastic wrap.

dalis4joe Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 10:57pm
post #71 of 197

I know.... lol that's why I said what I TOUGHT u said... cause I had it wrong... but since I already did it that way.... I was just wondering if you think that will mess it up... so sorry to have bothered you.... I will see how I can save the cake... have a nice one....

leah_s Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:13pm
post #72 of 197

Well, please get it out of the fridge. You might need to paint the outside edge with some simple syrup because, yes, it likely will have dried out bit. The cans may have been the right amount of weight, or may have been too much. The cake will certainly let you know.

dalis4joe Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:29am
post #73 of 197

Thanks... I did take it out.... and I just finished icing the cake and so far it looks good...

now I put it back so it can set before I fondant it....

Thanks again for your tips... this time I printed out your instructions so I don't goof up next time..... icon_smile.gif

leah_s Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:38am
post #74 of 197

yeah! for good lookin' cake!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:40am
post #75 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

I've been doing this for several weeks, and it's working well, so I'm ready to share. It's my way to get rid of the dreaded bulge.

In culinary school we were taught to place a cardboard on top of the cake and push down hard - right to the point BEFORE the cake breaks. It takes a bit of experience. LOL. Then remove the cardboard of course.

This works better.

Put the cake on a board. Fill. Wrap in plastic wrap. Then put a ceramic tile on top. Wait 2 or 3 hours. The ceramic tile should be about the size of the cake. We have ceramic tile in our house, so there were leftover tiles that are now my cake "tools."

I used to fill wrap, put a paperback book on top and wait overnight. This works better.

I've been doing much the same for quite some time, but I use a marble tile I bought in Lowes. The key is the 2-3 hour part... one really can't rush the settling! thumbs_up.gif

Edited to add that I just read someone else mentioned using marble and the OP felt it might be too heavy. I've never had an issue with it being so. It works great every time --no cracking. thumbs_up.gif

LindaF144a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaF144a Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:35pm
post #76 of 197

I am a very new beginner, so I hope this is not going to sound stupid.

I am just getting into the filling thing in cakes. In the past, I have just used the same frosting as I put on top of the cake. I plan on making two two-layer cakes this week.

Does this technique work for a tiered cake for wedding cakes? Do I need to use this technique if I am just making a simple two-layer cake with butter cream icing and no fondant?
Thanks in advance.

leah_s Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 2:39pm
post #77 of 197

First whatever is in between the layers is filling, so you've been dong fillings all along.
Second, ALL cakes need to settle. Doesn't matter how they get decorated, bc or fondant, all cakes need to settle.

Kenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kenzy Posted 7 May 2010 , 7:01am
post #78 of 197

Leah ~ Well I guess I should have read a little further in the forum before I posted my question on the "bulge". I too was one of those dummys that thought it was do to the weather, etc.! Thank you so much for your tip. thumbs_up.gif

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 8 May 2010 , 5:27am
post #79 of 197

Doesn't that just push all of the filling out??

chasebrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasebrad Posted 8 May 2010 , 6:08am
post #80 of 197

Thanks Leah. I've been having "bulge issues" lately when I hadn't before. I thought I was putting too much bc filling....I wish I had read this earlier....oh well there's always another cake.
Thanks again for sharing!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 May 2010 , 8:09pm
post #81 of 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger6361

Doesn't that just push all of the filling out??

It's going to settle eventually, with or without the tile, so if you put too much filling in between it's going to ooze out.

leah_s Posted 25 May 2010 , 9:56pm
post #82 of 197

Your STIFF bc dam will determine the height of the filling. Any filling over the damn is going to come out sooner or later. We'd all prefer sooner when you can fix it. Filling should be slightly *below* the top of the dam.

bakescupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakescupcakes Posted 29 May 2010 , 6:19am
post #83 of 197

Thanks so much Leah for posting this great tip. I'm very new to cake decorating and in the past have only ever used ganache under fopndant and never had issues with buldging. Until I started using buttercream....... and then came the bulge!!!!

MamaScooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaScooby Posted 21 Jun 2010 , 2:26am
post #84 of 197

For those who don't know this, here is something that can help. I make mosaic work for pools and other things. I go to tile distributors or warehouse and ask them if they have tiles that they are getting rid of, like display tiles and most of them are glad to give them to you so they don't have to dispose of them themselves. You can even get marble tiles. Just some info if you want to save some money. Hope that can help some of you. And Leah, thanks for that.. I have been having that bulging issue also and I am glad to know this.

deMuralist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deMuralist Posted 21 Jul 2010 , 9:08pm
post #85 of 197

I have never heard of anything like this! Thanks for the tip, both the display tiles and using them in the first place!

Fernando Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fernando Posted 24 Aug 2010 , 2:56pm
post #86 of 197

Thanks alot for the tip. Just made a wedding cake, and had the "bulge" appear on the bottom tier. It doesn't help that it is hot in south Texas just about all year long.

JustGettinStarted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustGettinStarted Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:13pm
post #87 of 197

Leah,
I just bought 2 beautiful (but most inexpensive I could find $1.15 each) 12x12 tiles at Lowes. I'm so excited to try this technique. I'm doing a 8 inch and a 6 inch cake in a little while and I had a few questions.

1. Will that big of a tile be okay on the 6 inch cake? It seems very heavy and I don't want it to smoosh my cake.

2. I'm likely using a version of WASC, so is it too much weight to put on that soft of a cake? I've never really done anything with the WASC except cupcakes, so wasn't sure.

I had another question, but can't for the life of me remember what it was at this moment. Sorry if I have to ask another question later. Thank you so much!

leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:20pm
post #88 of 197

That's a pretty big tile for the 6". Frankly I wouldn't do it. The problem with using a too big tile is that if it shifts a bit, the tile will smoosh the cake more on one side making it uneven - exactly the opposite of what you're trying to accomplish. I only use 12 X 12 tiles on 12" and 14" cakes.

leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:20pm
post #89 of 197

Oh, and I have no experience with that recipe. I only bake from scratch.

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 10 Sep 2010 , 4:59pm
post #90 of 197

Ditto, so glad I found Planet Cake a few years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippi

Rylan your cakes never have a buldge what is your trick??? icon_smile.gif

Ganache is my only trick. I no longer dam, I no longer let it set...just ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%