How Do I Do I Make Message "plaques"?

Decorating By KatesCakesBC Updated 8 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm by __Jamie__

KatesCakesBC Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 19

Hello,

Recently I have seen a lot of cakes on this site with either the "Happy Birthday" or "Welcome Baby" or etc message written on small 'plaques' and laid against the cake or affixed to the cake board somehow instead of being written directly right on the cake. *Like the photo attached -- this is a gorgeous cake I found on this site as an example of what I am talking about.

I hate writing/piping words on cakes -- that is the step in the process that I always mess up what I have already done and it usually produces copious amounts of tears! But these little 'plaques' are so cute. I wonder if they are made of edible materials or are they made ahead of time with cardstock or other paper and just added to the cake? The writing is always so pretty and delicate -- I can't imagine having a steady enough hand to that by painting gel colours -- but maybe others are far more talented than I am.

Does anyone hold the key to the secret of how these are made?

Thanks, K
LL

18 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:19pm
post #2 of 19

That's FromScratch's cake...you can PM her and ask! She's around today!

I make mine with a lightbox method. I fyou go to my pics, and pull up the monogram, you can read the description there.

Most times, I roll the GP very thin and trace over what I want it to say with foodsafe markers, and fill in with Americolr and paintbrushes.

cambo Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #3 of 19

I also LOVE that cake! I have read where most people make the placques from gumpaste because it dries so hard and then use foodoodler pens to write the message, or just pipe it on!

I, however, make my placques with craft foam....those thin pieces of foam you can buy in packs at Michael's or WalMart. It's non-toxic and comes in every color of the rainbow and then some! I don't know if it's foodsafe....but that's not really a concern for me, as the placques are attached with a dollup of icing on the back of the placque...and they never really touch the cake, and even if they did, it's a tiny, tiny bit! These foam placques have become very popular for me because most customers remove them and place them in their son/daughter's scrapbooks as keepsakes! I simply make the sign/banner in Word, print it out, affix it to the foam with a glue stick, then cut it out again, leaving a border of the foam showing around it! You can see several cakes in my gallery with these placques!

KatesCakesBC Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:31pm
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

and fill in with Americolr and paintbrushes.

Thanks - I did go and look up the monogram in your gallery -- what a good idea. Wouldn't have thought of it myself! I have heard differing opinions of painting/drawing with gel colours -- do you thin yours with anything in particular? I have read anything from vodka, to lemon extract, glycerine and fruit juice. What works for you? And it works just as well on fondant as gumpaste?

Thanks, K

__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:39pm
post #5 of 19

If I need to thin, I use vodka, sometimes lemon extract. GP is always desirable as it sets harder and doesn't pick up residual mosture from the cake, and droop or bend out of shape once dried, especially if you are forming a swag, or anything that sticks out from the cake.

giraffe11 Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #6 of 19

Kamie, Your faux light box idea is fabulous.........gets rid of the need for a projector and I can see many other applications for it. Thanks!

__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 19

Ha! One of these days I am actually going to get a real lightbox, or make one....can't be that hard. But yeah....it works pretty fab.

Last night, I had to make a school mascot banner, it's a fairly detailed little thing. And if you have the shading or an eyebrow arched slightly wrong....changes the whole expression, and anyone from my town will know in a heartbeat that "it just ain't right"....anyways, rolled out my GP as thin as a sheet of paper I tell ya.....lay it over a printed image of the mascot, and popped that flashlight under the table....crystal clear image! My foodmarker is even the correct shade of blue, so I didn't need to paint over it with Americolors afterwards.

KatesCakesBC Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:

If I need to thin, I use vodka, sometimes lemon extract. GP is always desirable as it sets harder and doesn't pick up residual mosture from the cake, and droop or bend out of shape once dried, especially if you are forming a swag, or anything that sticks out from the cake.

Thanks again -- I was always an avid BC user but I have just recently started to use fondant to decorate -- next I see I may have to tackle gumpaste -- not sure I am ready for it yet icon_smile.gif Can you buy gumpaste as you can fondant? I know it wouldn't be the best option but for a small little project like this I would rather not delve into a whole new world of decorating!

__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:58pm
post #9 of 19

I actually still use Wilton in the package gumpaste. I don't use it for much other than little figurines and those plaques, and so far, I haven't had any issues. I know I will be trying the Nick Lodge recipe one of these days when I get a little more serious with that side of decorating.

KatesCakesBC Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:09pm
post #10 of 19

Thanks again...and again...and again icon_smile.gif I have a cake that I am designing for my sister's first baby and I really wanted to get the look of the message plaque but didn't want to do too much extra work to get it! I will take all the advice to heart and run with it! Cheers!

Peridot Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:09pm
post #11 of 19

I too have problems with writing on the sides of cakes and can ruin a beautiful cake in a matter of seconds. I have also shed many tears and ranted and raved and been sick to death because of messing up the writing.

What wonderful ideas. I never thought of the light box - I am going to have my DH make one for me - so much cheaper than the overhead projector thing which for the few cakes that I do does not fit into my budget. I am going to try doing the little plaque things or maybe even the foam ones.

BRILLIANT IDEAS - THANKS FOR SHARING!!!

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:15am
post #12 of 19
Quote:

Ha! One of these days I am actually going to get a real lightbox, or make one....can't be that hard. But yeah....it works pretty fab.

__Jamie__, it sounds like your flashlight under the table works pretty well! For anyone that doesn't have a glass table, you can make your own lightbox. Turn a clear Pyrex baking dish upside down and put under it a strand of clear Christmas lights, or one of those LED battery operated lights.

Michele25 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:31am
post #13 of 19

You ladies are so creative--that's why I love you all!! Barbaranne--what a creative way to make a home-made light box!! And _Jamie_, thanks for all the info!!

joenshan Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 11:36am
post #14 of 19

My cake writing looks like that of a serial killer. So instead, I own a set color food pens. On my cakes, I either make a fondant scroll, or more recently, picked up a candy mold that is 4 small 'plaques', maybe 2 inches high by 4 inches wide. I used the white wilton melts and wrote on them with my color markers. Turned out pretty well.

khkakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:08pm
post #15 of 19

I love Camo's idea. I used it on a quick cake for my niece and it turned out cute and I could suspend it over the cake. I also use the food marker method. I'm going to try the pyrex and light thing next.

Kiddiekakes Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:14pm
post #16 of 19

I have several plaque cutters I bought from various sites.I use those with fondant or gumpaste and them dry a few days.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:17pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele25

Barbaranne--what a creative way to make a home-made light box!!

Thanks, but I cannot take the credit for that great idea. I used to do a lot of rubber stamping and another stamper came up with that one. I'm really good, however, of finding out about other people's ideas and copying them!!! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:46pm
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

Quote:

__Jamie__, it sounds like your flashlight under the table works pretty well! For anyone that doesn't have a glass table, you can make your own lightbox. Turn a clear Pyrex baking dish upside down and put under it a strand of clear Christmas lights, or one of those LED battery operated lights.

See....even more ingenious! Nice!

__Jamie__ Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:48pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

I have several plaque cutters I bought from various sites.I use those with fondant or gumpaste and them dry a few days.

That is exactly what I used for the plaque itself....err, well I printed a picture of it online and blew it up and cut it out and traced around it....heh heh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%