2 Q's: Transporting A Cake, And Cake Base Board

Decorating By Dement1a Updated 28 May 2009 , 11:13pm by crystalina1977

Dement1a Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 4

This weekend is my first big wedding cake so I'm nervous as all get out... I'm trying not to spam with questions.

First, I found out I am transporting 2 people as well as the cake. I have a Corolla. Has anyone transported a cake (disassembled in boxes) in their trunk before on a day when the temperature is about mid-70s and sunny? The drive will be about an hour with traffic. Will my fondant go all melty along with my sanity?

Second, I just realized I have no base board. I have cardboard rounds for each layer, but nothing to put down so that it looks like the cake is sitting on something (i.e. a silver covered round wooden board). I have no power tools so I can't just go get some plywood and cut something out. The base cake is 12". Should I get a big styrofoam round from a craft store and cover that with foil? Do they even make those that big? Should I just get a couple of 14" cardboard rounds and glue em together and cover those?

Thanks from Panicville,
S.

3 replies
cherrycakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:04pm
post #2 of 4

If you can, get 1/2 inch foamcore (from Michael's or other craft stores) and cut it with a very sharp blade like an exactoknife. You can cover that with fancy foil or anything else that's food safe.

CountryCakery4 Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 4

If you have room in your trunk and you're worried about the heat (because I'm not sure how hot 70 is i'm a celsius girl) you might try putting a bag of ice in a small cooler in your trunk to keep it somewhat cooler in there. I sure hope everything works out for you! I'm nervous for you!! But I'm sure it will be great and everyone will be wowed by your caking prowess. Good Luck!!! icon_razz.gif

crystalina1977 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:13pm
post #4 of 4

if you're short on time, you can normally get pre-made bases at craft stores like Michael's, they come in packages of two and they are round, foil covered. not as economical as making them yourself but it's sure convenient.

dont know about the cakes in the trunk, i have an suv, the back seats flip forward so i normally have a nice large, flat area to transport. one thing i always do though, in case it helps you, is i use that foam-y netting type of cupboard liner, not sure what it's called, but i put that between the cake and the car and it stays put wonderfully.

good luck! maybe your passengers could hold the cake? that might make me nervous though!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%