Buttercream Issue - Need Advice

Decorating By Queenstarr Updated 28 May 2009 , 9:53pm by BCJean

Queenstarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queenstarr Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 3

Seeking advice.....
Last night, I had a heck of a time trying to crumbcoat a sculpted cake - the BC wouldn't stick to the sides of the cake that were sculpted. The more I moved the more crumbs I got and frosting still stuck to the spatula. The cake was cold but not frozen. I even tried to make the icing thinner but that didn't help. I never had this much difficulty before. I eventually got the cake covered - it literally was a "crumb"coat. icon_sad.gif

Does anyone know what I could've done wrong? Or what I can do to prevent this in the future? The cake was a little on the dry side...could this have effected it too?
Thanks for your advice

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:42pm
post #2 of 3

Cut cake is always a problem to ice icon_sad.gif

You say you tried making the icing thinner - what did you do?

One thing you might try in the future is to take about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of b'cream and melt it in the microwave oven. Usually that should only take 5-10 seconds. You do NOT want to get the icing hot .... just melt it. If you watch thru the window you will see it melt - even if it is not completely melted, take it out and stir it until it is.
Now you have to work quickly pouring it on (in small sections), then spreading it over the cake.

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 3

I really like to use a quick icer when I do sculpted cakes. It puts a nice thick layer of buttercream on, then after it is covered you can remove the excess icing with your spatula. No crumbs ever doing it this way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%