Fondant And Luster Dust Question

Decorating By amberdawn82777 Updated 29 May 2009 , 7:51pm by ailika

amberdawn82777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberdawn82777 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 15

Hello everyone. I have just recently gotten interested in cakes and baking, because of a request from my daughter. Of course, now everyone wants me to make them something. I have a friend thats getting married soon and they would like me to do a grooms cake. They are very into tattoos, red and black. I have seen some cakes that are red, but fade to black on each tier. I would assume this is mostly done with an airbrush. I've yet to purchase one because I'm not that advanced. Do you think it would be possible to create a similar effect if I covered the cake in red fondant and then started at the bottom of the tier with black luster dust and fading upward, and I would take a wine colored luster dust and start at the top of the tier and work downward towards the black so that they fade together. I hope this makes sense. I know its hard to get someone to see in my minds eye !! I will more than likely cover alot of area with chocolate strawberries, but was wondering if anyone could give some insight on this. Does anyone think it will work, or am I out of my mind ??

14 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 15

Can you draw a little sketch and post it on here so that we can see what you are envisioning?

amberdawn82777 Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 15

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1370366

I hope the link works. I know his was airbrushed, but you can see the general idea of the black to red fade....

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:03pm
post #4 of 15

the luster dust idea could work...also wondering if the spray food coloring would work for you?

amberdawn82777 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 15

I thought about the spray stuff too, but I'm afraid the red would be too bright versus the deep red that I want. Thanks so much for all the help. I think I'll take a small piece of fondant a try and play with the dusts to see what happens ! I could be fooling myself !

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 15

what about black spray on red fondant?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:50am
post #7 of 15

You know I went to a cake demonstration where this guy used a hose and a regular spray paint nosel but it just attached to air can. He didn't want to buy the machine and it worked for him. So that's just a thought. You'd have to get someone who knows about these things to help you figure out how to work it.

That being said, I do think you might be able to create a similar fading look with luster dust. .,

amberdawn82777 Posted 29 May 2009 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks so much ladies for all the tips and suggestions ! It looks like I'll be experimenting some time this weekend between dance recitals and everything else that's going on! icon_smile.gif

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 15

when dusting on the side of a cake the dust falls down. Start at the top with the red and get that all done and then work up from the bottom with the black so you don't wind up with red taking over your black.

amberdawn82777 Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:10pm
post #10 of 15

Wonderful ! Thanks so much ! I love your little piggy picture too. I can't seem to upload a picture small enough for my profile. We had a pink pot belly for a while. She was the coolest pet ever and so smart ! Thanks again ! icon_biggrin.gif

ailika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ailika Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 15

Is there a way to make fondant or gumpaste soft. I just took mine out of the box and it's hard as a rock.

amberdawn82777 Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:22pm
post #12 of 15

I could be wrong, but I think I read that working some Crisco into it will soften it back up. I'd look around on this site before you take that as Gospel though !

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 29 May 2009 , 5:25pm
post #13 of 15

Yeah it has to be worked to be pliable. Don't add too much shortning to it until you get it softby working it. You can nuke it for a couple seconds(no more then 5 seconds at a time!) here and there and work the temperature through the whole lump of fondant. Kneed it like dough.

ailika Posted 29 May 2009 , 6:26pm
post #14 of 15

Thank you so much for your help

ailika Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:51pm
post #15 of 15

Thank you so much for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%