Covering Refrigerated Cake With Fondant And Satin Ribbon

Decorating By Julie0902 Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm by yamber82

Julie0902 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 7

I originally came on here to get instructions for covering a fondant cake with ribbon and then read a post about only covering cakes at room temperature and am now freaking out.... I am making my first four tiered wedding cake for Saturday. I baked the cakes Tuesday and Wednesday. The cakes that I baked on Tuesday, I put in the freezer. Yesterday, when I was done baking, I took all the cakes out of the freezer, stacked the individual tiers, leveled them and put on a crumb coat of icing on. I then put all four tiers in the refrigerator. I just finished the bottom tier, which I took out of the fridge, put another layer of buttercream icing on, covered in fondant and then put back in the fridge. I was hoping to do this to all layers today and then leave in the fridge until Saturday, when I was going to stack and cover with the ribbon onsite. Is this wrong? Do I need to have the cakes at room temperature before covering with fondant or does that only pertain to frozen, not refrigerated cakes? I am already lying awake worrying about this cake being perfect for the bride and groom. Please help this newbie with the cake. I'm afraid if I leave them all at room temperature, the Atlanta heat and humidity will ruin them before Saturday and I really don't have time to wait until Saturday to cover them with fondant. I can wait til tomorrow (Friday) but that's it. Thank you so very very very much for any advice and help.[/b]

6 replies
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 6:58am
post #2 of 7

I would never ever ever cover a cake at room temp. The icing squishes out. I cover very chilled cakes. Allows for very easy smoothing, and even edges.

candoo Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 7:43am
post #3 of 7

Hey Julie- I can't help w/this (also a newbie), I've only decorated w/fondant, not covered a whole cake w/it, but I saw you were from Ga & just wanted to say, I'm from south Ga! I have a best friend in Douglasville!

PinkZiab Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 7

I refrigerate ALL of my cakes and keep them well chilled throughout the decorating process. My cakes aren't brought back to room temp until a few hours before service. You'll be fine.

__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 7

Exactly what Tara said above...get it all done while it's cold, and it will keep it's nice smooth sharp shape all the way to the cutting.

yamber82 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 7

i do mine cold too. it also helps to spritz a little water around the sides so it will stick better. and about the temp, if you have too much bc and cover them with fondant while they're cold, then when they get to room temp they might start looking a bit droopy. look at my princess bday cake and see how the edges arn't very sharp. that's because i had too much bc and the fondant was kinda weighing the edges down. there was no cake to support it, but the last 2 cakes i did i put a very thin crumb coat and then covered in fondant and they pooked almost perfect as far as that part is concerened icon_smile.gif so i think the only real negative to covering them cold is that the edges might droop just a tad when the bc softens up. that's just my experience. i'm still pretty new too. good luck!!!

yamber82 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #7 of 7

taht was suposed to say looked not pooked,lol. and about the edges drooping, i only meant if they'res too much bc.... sorry didn't explain myself very well icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%