Urgent! Can You Airbrush Candymelts?

Decorating By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 9:55pm by diamondsonblackvelvet13

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 8

I need- 3 doz blue candy covered strawberries. I ordered the candy- I am not getting the candy. (long story- no time).

I have-
Lorann liquid blue (for airbrush) and Americolor Blue Gel

Wilton White Candy melts.

I need advice, tips, tricks, anything you got!

Thanks for your helping in pulling my rear outta this mess!

7 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 8

I don't think you can. The airbrush coloring is water based, the candymelts are fat. I don't think it will stick to it. I could be wrong. But when I airbrush something that has shortening on it (from kneading and sculpting a piece of GP or fondant), it doesn't cover correctly.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:19pm
post #3 of 8

You CAN dust them with luster dusts if you have some blue, or if you have the powdered food colorings, you could dust with that as well.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:25pm
post #4 of 8

air brush will just make a mess it will bead up and run off. can you get to an AC MOORE or MICHEAL they have blue malts there.what about drizzling with blue RI

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 8

Is there a Party City or Hobby Lobby near you? They usually carry blue candy melts. Of course, if you had any of those near you, you'd have gotten blue candy color already. So, I assume you're not near any craft store...?

No, you can't airbrush chocolate for the reasons stated above. Beading, running off, general mess...

Water-based gel colors will cause your chocolate to seize. Normally, a hefty dose of vegetable oil will combat that, but your candy melts actually have to TASTE GOOD for this project! icon_smile.gif

Call your local drugstores to see if they carry cocoa butter and if so, is it labeled foodsafe? If you can get your hands on pure cocoa butter, you can mix that in with the gel color and your candy melts won't seize.

Good luck!

DianeLM Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:36pm
post #6 of 8

Is there a Party City or Hobby Lobby near you? They usually carry blue candy melts. Of course, if you had any of those near you, you'd have gotten blue candy color already. So, I assume you're not near any craft store...?

No, you can't airbrush chocolate for the reasons stated above. Beading, running off, general mess...

Water-based gel colors will cause your chocolate to seize. Normally, a hefty dose of vegetable oil will combat that, but your candy melts actually have to TASTE GOOD for this project! icon_smile.gif

Call your local drugstores to see if they carry cocoa butter and if so, is it labeled foodsafe? If you can get your hands on pure cocoa butter, you can mix that in with the gel color and your candy melts won't seize.

Good luck!

DianeLM Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 8

Good luck!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 8

Oh Wow! I got responses! Figures I wouldn't get notices for this! Thank you for all the help!

Here is what I did, I hope it helps someone else! I used my Americolor blue, added it to shortening. I think I used a tbsp shortening total. I got an almost purple-ish hue to the shortening. Once my white candy was melting (double boiler method) I added the shortening a tsp at a time until I got the color I needed. While I was adding it, I was mixing well. I also added about a tsp of oil to the candy to help keep it fluid. It worked rather well and didn't affect the taste! Of course I'd MUCH rather have awesome navy blue candy but I'll settle for this.

**I know they don't look too professional- DH coated them for me- he has a lot to learn about making food look good! I love him tho! **
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%