Convincing Beyond Choc And Van...

Decorating By sadsmile Updated 28 May 2009 , 9:14pm by kilikina_24

sadsmile Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 11

My cousin is my cake muggle who just doesn't even eat cake yet she has me doing two cake for the same weekend and wants them both choc and van. Celebrating her kids B-days during the visit. Blah Ok so my truffle filling is great but the same people are eating this cake that also ate my Mothers Day cake -same flavor! It's getting hot here and I am dreaming of curd and fruit fillings and fab flavor combos. Nada, zip, nil nothing but plain ol choc and van with that filling. Help! Anyone really great in the art of diplomacy that can lend me some ammunition?

10 replies
brincess_b Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 11

2 cakes... i think one should be more fun at least! that way she (and picky kids) can eat one, others can eat something else - most people i know like things like carrot, lemon, coffee, they arent exactly adventurous!
i would maybe just say the truth, those are same same flavours as last time, how about one different this time? maybe you kow a flavour someone else who is turning up likes something, so try 'i know X likes lemon, how about one of those?'
course if these cakes are really off your own bat, id maybe do one new flavour anyway!

indydebi Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 11

Why do some cakers have this insane plea for people to order cake flavors the client doens't want?

My son-in-law likes white cake with white icing. Period. He says if he goes to a wedding and there's no white cake with white icing, he's taking his present and leaving.

I like white cake with chocolate icing. I like chocolate cake "sometimes". I do NOT like any weird, foreign, exotic or "what the hell kind of cake IS this?" flavor.

If I order a white cake and the baker tries to talk me into pumpkin cake or guava monkeybutt with an earwax filling, yes, I'm going to be ticked and I'm not ever ordering from that place again.

I know what I like ... I know what my family likes .... would you just PLEASE make me the cake that *I* want and save your "artistic creativity" for your own special events?

So it's the same flavor as last time! Big Deal! Maybe she's ordering the same flavor because those are the flavors they LIKE to eat! Hmmmm? icon_confused.gif

Just because I like vanilla and chocolate cake, it doesn't make me "picky". It means that after 50 years of life, I KNOW what I like and what I don't.

If I took a carrot cake to a family event, it would get thrown in the trash while everyone complained "where's your WHITE cake! THAT'S what I was looking forward to!"

Sorry for the rant, I just get very irritated at this topic ..... where it sounds like the baker is talking down to the common folks who know what they like and since it's not what the baker would prefer, then those choc /van people are just so "uneducated" or something. I find it very insulting. ... to me and to the clients.

sadsmile Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 11

ROFL indy! Nah this is family I would neva push on a customer if I had one. WE are just going to have a lot of the same cake if she wants them both van and choc. Here is the kicker she won't let the kids have a regular slice..LOL just a couple bites. The second cake is going with us on a cruise as a surprise for her oldest girl. Maybe if I suggest that choc doesn't go with or maybe not.

Bellatheball Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 11

Cake muggle...LOL!

I agree, she's ordering it, she's eating it and she's paying for it. Therefore, she gets to choose.

TexasSugar Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:13pm
post #6 of 11

Sometimes people pick white and chocolate or yellow because that is all the know or all they think of when it comes to cake. When you go to the grocery store cakes are white, chocolate or yellow.

Usually when flavors come up I'll send a list of cake flavors/filling to them. Sometimes they will just want the white/chocolate, sometimes they will ask for something different. I also include a note at the end of list that says if you want suggestions on flavor/filling combos I will give them some.

What they pick is what they pick. In May every cake I did was chocolate cake, and two of the four were chocolate with caramel.

2SchnauzerLady Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 11

If these are for kids birthdays - most children like to stick to the very basic flavors, as children find comfort in the same thing over and over and over again!

pebblez87 Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 11

i must have some crazy family they are my tasting lab rats and sometimes they even request the flavors!! example my neice gave her the list choc, vanil, yellow and bless her she picks orange dreamscicle another has picked key lime and cinamon

maybe go ahead and make the chocolate vanilla cakes and just happen to have one that youve made for yourself an "experiment" so they can see there are more flavors. i know my family didnt know you could make a cotton candy cake and what not, many people just know the basics that you see in the baking aisle. And if they dont seem interested in your cake at least you get something besides chocolate and vanilla

grama_j Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 11

Add a small cake of YOUR choosing...... What the hay..... you're baking anyway.....

mackeymom Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:08pm
post #10 of 11

This is yet another reason why Indydebi is my hero! Spot on, as usual!

kilikina_24 Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 11

I get what some of you are saying---just give the customer what they want. But I think the OP is saying that a FAMILY member, who doesn't even EAT CAKE is asking her to bring choc and van. If she's making the cake for family and it's not for a customer (meaning not being PAID for) she just wants to try something new. I don't think there is any reason to jump all over her about not giving the customer what they want---there isn't really a customer!

I like the suggestion of making the choc/van for those that like that and then try a new flavor--maybe your family will enjoy it! I know I use my family and friends to try new flavors on. And some they like better than others. They don't seem to mind and I'm always being asked what kind of cake I'm working on now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%