Inserting Dowels/straws In A Cake???

Decorating By Mikel79 Updated 28 May 2009 , 8:09pm by sadsmile

Mikel79 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 7

Hi All!

I have read in posts that a good tip when stacking is to insert your Tea Straws or Dowels about half way to the bottom of the cake. Leaving about a 1/2" exposed. Then apply the cake to the top of the rods/straws and the cake will slowly descend down, helping eliminate some of the finger marks or other various issues when stacking cakes (sometimes). My question is how do you make sure that the cake sits level on the cake you are placing the upper tier to??

I thought I was being smart on a cake I did already. I measured all of my Bubble Tea Straws by placing them all the way down in the cake so that each straw would be level. I then removed the straws and cut them to size, then placed them back in the cake halfway. When I placed the cake on the straws it dropped incredibly fast to the bottom tier, because I ALREADY have made the holes for the straws. Left me NO time to remove my fingers. What a mess =(

Sorry for this LOOOOOONG post, but does anyone have any suggestions. I like the idea of this tip for stacking, just would like to make it work properly....

Thanks =)

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 7

Put one dowel in all the way, mark it to the right length, then take it out and cut all the others using that one as a guide icon_biggrin.gif

Mikel79 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 7

Thank you for the tip.

Will that one straw that I measure be an accurate measurement for the rest of them? I know this sounds stupid. But, even on a good day, wouldn't the most perfect cake be somewhat off level on the icing top?

Thanks again.. I will try it

becklynn Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 7

The "Successful Stacking" DVD by sugarshack (here on cc) is a huge help!! She shows exactly what you are talking about!

bisbqueenb Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:26pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, the most perfect cake may be somewhat off level on the icing top....that is why you want all of the straws/dowels to be exactly the same size. Then when you add a border or ribbon....or however you finish off the bottom edge, you will give the 'illusion' of perfectly level cakes! AND if the dowels/straws are NOT the same size, you risk the chance of the top layers shifting and that can lead to more problems like collapse!

Mikel79 Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you =)

sadsmile Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 7

I find inserting a skinny skewer helps me to acuratly mark the measurment. The hole is so small it does not cause an issue when placing a dowel in it. Or you could leave that hole alone and space your straws around that skewer hole. If the top layer covers it then it's coverd.

Quote by @%username% on %date%