Need Help With Color Mixing ...

Decorating By catin Updated 28 May 2009 , 8:57pm by anolan36

catin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catin Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 9

How to I get a Amber brown color (beer bottle color). I looked it up .. but I dont know if its just me and my spelling ...but I can't seem to find it .

Can someone help me !!!

Thanks again

Julie

8 replies
artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 9

would this be for fondant or cooked sugar? or something else?

catin Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #3 of 9

It's for BC and also I need to paint it on Fondant as well

anolan36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anolan36 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 9

If it is for fondant I would start with brown a little at a time and then add a small amount of yellow till you achieve desired color.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 9

Definitely use yellow and brown. But, I'd start with yellow. Much easier to go darker than lighter. Of course, that could just be me, I've been known for impatience and just want to get to the right color fast. icon_smile.gif

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #6 of 9

Yes, what analon said. If you don't have brown coloring to begin with there are several other ways to get there. You could start with a yellow orange and add a really, really tiny touch of blue. What do you have to work with as far as colors go?

For painting, I would start with a golden fondant and then paint it with a thin, translucent coat of brown.

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 9

Just a tip on the color brown and what shade you may end up with. If you've ever played with fondant, colored with Wilton... when using a tiny amount of brown, you'll get a great flesh color, slightly pink. Reason... brown is made with complimentary colors... red and green are complimentary. Wilton's brown has more red than green. Most browns lean towards the red side. If you mix the complimentary colors of orange and blue, you may get a more green brown. This is due to orange is made with a mix of yellow and red, therefore the red is diluted. Yellow and blue make green. So... mixing orange and blue will give a more green cast to your brown. Cake Kraft brown uses less red and I've never used Americolor, so I don't know how there color compares in regards to the amount of red.

artscallion's idea of painting over a golden fondant would probably look great!

Sorry, don't mean to go on about the color wheel, but I find colors fascinating! icon_smile.gif

catin Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:00pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you all so much for the quick replies . Now its reassuring that I was on the right track ... I was thinking yellow and then brown to get the color ... but wanted to make sure that I was doing it right

Thanks again its really appreciated ... icon_smile.gif

anolan36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anolan36 Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 9

Always glad to give my 2 cents icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%