3D Chicken Cake

Decorating By marcimcc Updated 30 May 2009 , 8:58am by candoo

marcimcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimcc Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:24pm
post #1 of 8

Hello All,

I am new to the whole cake decorating thing, but not new to baking. I have started decorating cakes just for a few close friends and family and have enjoyed it so much. I have made a tackle box, a teapot, a webkinz cake and a tiered princess cake. All designs were inspired by the experts here on cakecentral!

I have had a request to make a chicken cake for a 12 year old boy who loves raising chickens. What would be the best way to go about constructing this cake? I would prefer not to have to buy any additional pans at this time. What I have on hand are the rectangular pans (several sizes), circle pans in several sizes, sports ball pan, jumbo cupcake pan.

I was thinking of maybe using the sports ball pan. Any suggestions would be wonderful.

PS...I was told about this site at a cake art class and have become addicted to it.

7 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:32pm
post #2 of 8

i would think the ball pan for the body, and a small ball of rice krispie treats as a head. thick dowels to make the legs and head. or you could have him sitting!
youd maybe have a more realistic chicken if you carved it, id think the rectangle pans would be the way to go.
xx

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 8

I've used the Wilton duck pan to make a chicken. It worked great. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 8

I've used the Wilton duck pan to make a chicken. It worked great. icon_smile.gif

marcimcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcimcc Posted 29 May 2009 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 8

Here is my finished chicken cake. Used 9 inch layers for the nest, sports ball for the body and a jumbo cupcake for the head. The tail and wing feathers came from the craft section of Walmart.
LL

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 30 May 2009 , 8:12am
post #6 of 8

man, that is really cool. all piped bc? great effect on the chicken!
xx

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 30 May 2009 , 8:28am
post #7 of 8

I sculpted a chicken for my hubby out of fondant. Check out the pic on my profile, there was choc. cake w/choc. icing underneath. I too, got this idea from another cake prev. posted on CC. I tried to attach the pic, but the file is too large (too many pixels).

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 30 May 2009 , 8:58am
post #8 of 8

I figured out how to shrink my pic- here it is...
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%