Shipping Cakes Out Of State

Business By EatSomeCake Updated 3 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm by TooMuchCake

EatSomeCake Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 6

Have any of you guys shipped cakes through fedex or ups or other? I was watching that show Platinum Weddings and the wedding cake was shipped to the reception in boxes. It was a Sylvia Weinstock cake(5-7 tiers high I can't remember exactly) completely decorated with thousands of white gum paste flowers, they showed the local cake decorator who was hired to assemble it opening the boxes of already decorated cake.

My close family is spread around the country and I rarely get the opportunity to make them a cake for their birthdays. I'm thinking about sending bday cakes through Ups/fedex (whatever carrier does it, i'll have to inquire) Anyway if anyone has done this could you please tell me successful or not stories, what carrier did you use?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
TooMuchCake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 6

I know people have successfully shipped cakes, so it can be done. But I've only tried it once, and you can see the story, pictures, and what I'd do differently here:
http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Mail.html

HTH,
Deanna

EatSomeCake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 6

toomuchcake-

thanks for the tips, I checked out your site and book marked it. You have some woderful tutorials, way cool ideas I'm going to try. Based on your advice I'll probably ship a cake to a relative for their birthday. If they get it intact, great. If not, it's the thought that counts, right?

TooMuchCake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, Tiffraine! I was going to send her a cake on her birthday this year, and do it differently, but time got away from me... There's next year, right? LOL

yummycupcakes Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 6

TooMuchCake- Do you mind if I asked how much the shipping cost you? I wanted to do that for my bestfriend this year- sending it from Washington State to California in November. I'm wondering if its worth sending it, or if I should just get her non perishable gift instead- or just do a some cupcakes. Thanks!

TooMuchCake Posted 3 Jun 2009 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 6

Yummycupcakes, I don't remember exactly what it cost. It was over a year ago, and I can barely remember what I did last week.... I sent it Priority Mail but don't remember which size Priority box I used. I think it was the largest one. So, probably in the $12ish dollar range?

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%