Commercial Cake Recipies Vs Home Cake Recipes

Business By farnum22407 Updated 30 May 2009 , 1:56pm by -K8memphis

farnum22407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farnum22407 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know if there are any places that sell Commercial/Bulk Cake Recipes? Often times I find that the home recipes do not always translate so well into larger cakes. I'm assuming that not all bakeries use cook books geared towards the home baker and that there is something available geared specifically for bakeries/restaurants, etc.

Thanks for any info,

9 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 10

Look for recipes that are in lbs.,and ozs. Trying to get an accurate account with cups is like playing pin the tail on the chef.

Mike

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 10

Speaking of such I have noticed in another thread there is a yellow cake bake off. How can it be accurate competition if it is not in weights?

I come from a metric part of the world and am a baker and don't get how can you compare cakes if it is all in cups etc, as flour is not always the same volume.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 10

Try the Cake Bible by Rose Levy Bernbaum

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:13pm
post #5 of 10

Baking and Baking Science:
(Has bulk recipes, and conversion charts [cups to oz. for common baking ingredients] and more.)

http://www.bakingandbakingscience.com/Cakes.htm

http://www.bakingandbakingscience.com/dec.htm

Icings:

http://www.bakingandbakingscience.com/Icings.htm

Link to the homepage:
(Info on bread, pastry, cookies and more.)

http://www.bakingandbakingscience.com/

HTH

sara91 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sara91 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 10

I love the Cake Bible, every recipe I have tried has been a winner!

farnum22407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
farnum22407 Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 10

Thanks everyone for your help

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #8 of 10

I used to bake for meals of 300-2000.
Every recipe I multiplied from a small recipe came out fine if it was already a viable formula. I did translate them into pounds. I did not do a ton of cake--we used commercial mix mostly for cakes but I did do some and other cake buddies of mine just straight up multiply and have no worries.

The extra science about the baking powder where you decrease it in larger cakes might really work good. But simple mulitplication also works when you've got a good recipe.

The Cake Bible cake recipes are already formulated with the weighted ingredients. The book is often more revered for the icing recipes than the cake recipes.

Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake recipe is awesome--It comes out white. I use one quarter cup more flour. I use two less egg yolks and I add the unbeaten eggs into the creamed butter & sugar. The recipe is google-able. (<<<that's a fun word!)

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:35pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Every recipe I multiplied from a small recipe came out fine if it was already a viable formula. I did translate them into pounds. I did not do a ton of cake--we used commercial mix mostly for cakes but I did do some and other cake buddies of mine just straight up multiply and have no worries.

The extra science about the baking powder where you decrease it in larger cakes might really work good. But simple mulitplication also works when you've got a good recipe.

The Cake Bible cake recipes are already formulated with the weighted ingredients. The book is often more revered for the icing recipes than the cake recipes.

Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake recipe is awesome--It comes out white. I use one quarter cup more flour. I use two less egg yolks and I add the unbeaten eggs into the creamed butter & sugar. The recipe is google-able. (<<<that's a fun word!)

k8memphis, you dont whip the egg white seperate. You just add all the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture and creamed everything together.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:56pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

k8memphis, you dont whip the egg white seperate. You just add all the eggs to the butter and sugar mixture and creamed everything together.

Yes but I use nice cold butter cut into same size chunks.--Cream that. Add sugar & cream that till nice & lovely fluffy. Then add eggs (sans two yolks) one at a time and beat till once again nice & fluffy and pretty, smooth yellow.

I add them to the already creamed butter & sugar one at a time for what it's worth. It's such a nice cake.

I always bomb at the whipping the egg whites and folding them in gently <<< I hate that!

The only problem for me with this cake is that I am addicted to keeping my cakes chilled. And this cake does not do well coming back to room temp--it feels scratchy on the throat compared to how it was as a non friged cake. My oil based cakes are fine to chill and spring back.

I am going to experiment with the Jilk cake emulsifier and see if it makes a good difference for me.

I find that cake mixes can fluctuate and all I want is the stabilizers out of there anyway--so I'm gonna see if I have more control with the Jilk. If it will help mine spring back better, great.

I mean the cake is still moist--but the complaint I get is that it is 'dry'. I'm gonna try this & see if it doesn't cure that issue pour moi.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%