Cake Mix Extender

Decorating By Lcubed82 Updated 1 Jun 2009 , 3:36am by madgeowens

Lcubed82 Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:47pm
post #1 of 9

The mixes I have already have pudding in them. Should I leave out the pudding from the extender recipe? TIA Linda

8 replies
Lcubed82 Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 9

I guess my first question should have been..
I am making a 2 tier 10 in round with a 1/2 ball cake on top to make a flower basket. I have Pillsbury Moist Supreme Classic White mixes with "one cup of pudding in the mix". Would you add anything to make these more dense?

emlashlee Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 9

When I was going through my Wilton courses, the instructor told us that Wilton recommends Duncan Hines cake mixes because they provide the most amount of batter out of all the brands. Also, you can add 2 T of meringue powder to make the cakes easier to work with. I've used the following extender recipe with the DH cake mixes and it turns out great.

Cake Mix Extender: (Add all ingredients in addition to the ingredients called for on the box.)
1 cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
2/3 cup milk or water
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 egg

For chocolate, you can add a heaping tablespoon of cocoa powder or include hot chocolate mix as part of your sugar.

Good luck!

Lcubed82 Posted 30 May 2009 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you!!!

sheilabelle Posted 31 May 2009 , 1:52am
post #5 of 9

Emlashlee - With this extender do you add these ingredients in addition to the ingredients listed on the box? One egg doesn't seem enough. Also, does this make a dense cake (good for carving)? I use the wasc extender but would like to try others.

madgeowens Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:46am
post #6 of 9

I use a different extender recipe I got off cc.and it says to follow the direction on the cake mix snd then add
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
pinch or so of salt(forget exact amt)
8 ounces of sour cream 1 egg

I tell you thisis really a great recipe...look for it on here.....its good...cake is moist too

emlashlee Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:08pm
post #8 of 9

I have never carved a cake with this extender, but the cakes are soft. I would say to try it adding at least 2 T of meringue powder with it to toughen them up a little. That consistency seems to work well for me to "flop them about" a bit.

Yes, you add the extender ingredients IN ADDITION to the ones called for on the box. For example, if the box calls for 3 eggs, you put in 4.

madgeowens Posted 1 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #9 of 9

I used this to carve my car...the carving was the only part of the cake that was easy...just follow the recipe it tells you what to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%