Grrr!!! Short Vent!!

Business By muddpuppy Updated 28 May 2009 , 5:55pm by all4cake

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 28 May 2009 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 13

Ok... I am a liscenced biz... Everything above board and legit. It clearly states on my website that I am "available by appointment only!" ...Last night, I got a phone call form a bride looking to purchase a custom made cake topper from me and she was outside my house now!! WHAT?!? First of all, I do not work from home, I rent a kitchen in another part of the city, 2nd of all, my cell phone is the number listed on my website, so how did she get my address???? And lastly, what part of "By appointment only" did she not get?!?!? I'm so P.O.'ed.. Anyone else had this happen? How can I be any more clear? I don't want random brides just showing up at my home.... icon_sad.gif Any ideas? P.S. it was 10:30 pm when she called.... grrrrrrr......

I calmly explained to her that this was NOT my biz location and that she should call back in the AM and make an APPOINTMENT!! ... lol... so silly...

12 replies
littlesweetpea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesweetpea Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 13

One thing I can count on-some people(many lately) are oblivious. I've been in the biz for 15yrs. I get people leaving orders on the machine for the next day-even though it clearly states 72hrs. I get people parking directly in front of the shop-where there's really no room for another car to pass-even though there's a sign right in front of them that says please park in parking lot(w/arrows). People also think you'll make an exception just for them.

As far as you're home address-she probably looked it up. It's an invasion of privacy-but there's only so much you can do.

littlesweetpea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlesweetpea Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 13

One thing I can count on-some people(many lately) are oblivious. I've been in the biz for 15yrs. I get people leaving orders on the machine for the next day-even though it clearly states 72hrs. I get people parking directly in front of the shop-where there's really no room for another car to pass-even though there's a sign right in front of them that says please park in parking lot(w/arrows). People also think you'll make an exception just for them.

As far as you're home address-she probably looked it up. It's an invasion of privacy-but there's only so much you can do.

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 13

arg! How creepy and rude! Good luck working w/her, if that's what you decide to do!

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 13

I'm a teacher, and can't tell you the number of times a parent will want to have a long conversation about their child right at 9.00am when the school bell has just gone aand there's clearly 30 children running amock in front of their eyes, despite all requests to make appoimtments.

All you can do is what you did and ask them to make one. Like littlesweetpea said, people will always think that they are the exception.

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:23pm
post #6 of 13

Do NOT work with that bride! If she thinks it is okay to show up outside your home at that hour, imagine what kind of requests and demands she will have.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 13

Stalker.......... Maybe she did a reverse look up to get your info. You can get anything off the net these days.

Run away...........

Keep running.........

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 13

I would suddenly be completely booked for whatever her date is!

She is either stupid, crazy, or just rude & inconsiderate (or a combination of all three!), and I would not want to deal with it.

I had someone call my home that late one night, and I figured they didn't realize it was a home number and just expected to leave a message, but then she clearly said in her message "I guess you've already gone to bed..." so she DID know it was my home.

I was annoyed, but then got REALLY annoyed when I called her back the next day, and she expected me to lower my prices for her, because she had an old, out-dated brochure that someone else had given her (which clearly stated "Prices are subject to change at any time" anyway). It was not like *I* had accidentally given her an old brochure, in which case I would have honored it. I told her I could not control what other people did with their old brochures, and I could not give her the old prices. Of course, I didn't hear back from her, thank goodness.

I had another bride who came for an initial consult, then was a no-show for her second appt. to pay deposit and sign contract. I figured she had changed her mind. Then a week later she shows up at my house without an appointment or calling first, and acted shocked when I told her someone else had already booked the date. icon_rolleyes.gif

hensor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hensor Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 13

I swear some people have such nerve....I too would be too busy to make her cake when the time comes.

angelicconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelicconfections Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:34pm
post #10 of 13

some people! I have lost count of the number of times I have been asked at 5pm, oh can I get a birthday cake for 50 and you can bring it work in the morning? What! I had to changed shifts recently but before I got to work at 5:30am! Yes, clearly I should drop making supper, helping with homework, bathtime, storytime get ready for morning time (can't trust DH to dress kids for school icon_wink.gif bedtime, oh and getting any sleep myself. I'll jump right on that, ah no. Please, go to festival foods, they have sheet cakes churned out by the dozens daily. And calling at 10pm? Arriving unanounced at your home? Run away, far, far away. She clearly has no consideration of other's schedules or personal needs. I think she would be a nightmare to work with. I learned growing up that you never call anyone after 9pm unless it is an emergancy. not ever, I wouldn't drop by at 10pm at my best friend's house at 10pm, much less a complete stranger.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:42pm
post #11 of 13

I have people call me at night all the time, I just let that answering machine do it's job! I don't know what people are thinking...Some girl once showed up at my doorstep and asked to see the cake toppers that I had (I don't sell them.) I can understand if you think someone has a shop, but if you show up at the address that you had to look up because it isn't listed, and it's not a shop but someone's home, you might think that MAYBE you're not invited to just drop in.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #12 of 13

HOLY STALKER. Here is a good time to practise your sprinting. I don't know what she was thinking, but this is not OK. She is certifiable. Change your phone number and change your locks. This is one scary bridezilla.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:55pm
post #13 of 13

I've had someone call the business # at 11p.m.. The answering machine picked up. They didn't leave a message. They simply called the house # !!! The next morning, they called back and began telling me they would've had their order in on time but no one was answering...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%