Want To Start Cake Decorating School???

Business By majormichel Updated 4 Jun 2009 , 4:11am by ButtercupMama

majormichel Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 8

I want to start a cake decorating school. My focus will be on teenagers and maybe older people who are interested in learning. I will be inspiring the teenagers by keeping this busy and in the mean while teaching them a skill that they can use in the future. The thing is, I am also persuing my Accounting career but really have a passion for cake decorating. Sorry but I love Accounts and cake decorating (I can't decide). For starter the school will be openned only on Saturdays. Teaching different icing, filing, cake baking, etc. I took the Wilton Master Course and I have learnt so much from CC, this is a passion of mines I want to get started.

What is your opinion? I want to hear from your experience. Are you an Instructor? What should I consider in planning to open a school? Ok where to begin?

7 replies
sara91 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 8

Great! Go for it! Teaching is so rewarding! I was a bit hesitant about teaching as I do not like public speaking but found teaching adult education classes a breeze and had so much fun! Everyone was happy to be there learning. I wish you all the best of luck.

majormichel Posted 28 May 2009 , 9:21pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Sara91.

ANYONE ELSE????? I KNOW YOU WOULD RESPOND.

350BakerStreet Posted 28 May 2009 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 8

I've thought about doing this myself...sorry I can't help, but I am interested to see what everyone else thinks. I'm surprised there is no cake decorating school, like at the Art Institute or elsewhere. Wierd.

ButtercupMama Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:12am
post #5 of 8

Yeah, I have no formal training, but 19 years of experience, and my own bakery. I often think I would like to teach the art of decorating cakes as well, but a venture such as opening a school would be too much for me!
I often wondered how I could go about teaching classes with no actual credentials except being a kick-a$$ decorator. (Can I put that on a resume?)
I was thinking about offering my services thru the community... the city I live in offers classes of all kinds, and they are always looking for people to teach just about anything. This might be a good place to start. Wish I could give you some actual information beyond my own wonderings. Good luck!

aliciag829 Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:21am
post #6 of 8

Have you ever taught before as a Wilton Method Instructor just to get your feet wet? I'm sure they'd hire you in a heartbeat!

lildragon Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 3:22am
post #7 of 8

I think that's a wonderful venture! I've only been seriously decorating for a year now, and would love to teach, but I always felt like I needed formal training and classes to seem credible. However, I think starting out through a community program would be a great idea. It will give you the opportunity to try it out and see if you do enjoy it enough to start a school.

ButtercupMama Posted 4 Jun 2009 , 4:11am
post #8 of 8

I had looked into being a Wilton Instructor years ago. They said I'd have to first take all four courses (makes perfect sense!) to learn the actual "Wilton Method" before teaching it. I'm sure lots of the folks on this board are or have been an Instructor for the Wilton Method. Sounds cool, but at the time I needed more of an income, rather than a creative outlet and teaching experience for the ol resume! Perhaps something I'll do in the future when my life settles down a bit! icon_smile.gif
I do know that many people want to learn the art, so I think whoever may be taking on opening a school would be well received!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%