Viking Vs Ka..which One???

Decorating By umgrzfn Updated 31 Aug 2009 , 2:20am by tracycakes

Joyfull4444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyfull4444 Posted 29 May 2009 , 7:49pm
post #31 of 47

I have the 7 qt viking and love it. I compared with Cusinart before buying. The paddle and dough hook on the Viking are super heavy duty, very strong.
The paddle and dough hook on the Cusinart are (for me) far too flimsy. I really liked the Cusinart machine itself, it had great features, but the paddle and hook turned me right off.

I also have my old trusty 4.5 qt KA bought in the days that Hobart still made them and it works like a charm.

I would not buy a larger or newer KA nowadays. They're made by Whirlpool now. They're not anywhere the machine they used to be..

Heres some more KA talk from one of my favorite cooking sites. Its a good read.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/439186

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 29 May 2009 , 8:40pm
post #32 of 47

KA=toy, Viking=Mixer. LOLOL You'll never be able to put 5#'s of bread flour in a KA, and have it survive.

If Hobart still made them, then I would say KA, but since they are made by ???, and packaged by Whirlpool, who knows.

Get a Viking it will be a one time purchase.

Mike

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 30 May 2009 , 12:12am
post #33 of 47

I just wanted to throw this out there amazon has the cuisinart 7qt for 376.36 new! and it comes with a food processor as a free gift. They also have the beater blade for 39 and extra bowls for 99.

hth

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 30 May 2009 , 1:47am
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

KA=toy, Viking=Mixer. LOLOL You'll never be able to put 5#'s of bread flour in a KA, and have it survive.

If Hobart still made them, then I would say KA, but since they are made by ???, and packaged by Whirlpool, who knows.

Mike

Thanks Mike!!! Great to know.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 30 May 2009 , 2:02am
post #35 of 47

well i didn't do the experiment!!! I put a link where I found it.

I will look at the attachments when I buy just to be safe!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 4:27pm
post #36 of 47

I got a discount code in my email from HSN because they "miss" me....

15% off up to $50. The mixer is $399 and $18 for shipping.

I will order it by the 31st of Aug and will post about it when I can (tho I am moving so i don't know how soon I will get to test it out)

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:23pm
post #37 of 47

Let me know what you think. I still haven't gotten mine. Things keep coming up preventing me from spending the money on one!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif But, my wimpy mixer finally gave up the ghost so now I have nothing but a hand mixer. With a little whine to hubby, I will be getting it soon....I HOPE!! icon_biggrin.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 6:44pm
post #38 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

Absolutely 100% agree!! For me, there is no comparison between KA and Viking. The KA is fine, but dont expect a new model to last longer than 5-6 years if you're using it every day. KA no longer guarantees their product for more than a year (I think) because they know it just wont last.

I just cant bring myself to spend the $$$ on a Cuisinart. They have REALLY cool features, no doubt, but I still feel like they are too new to really know about how long they'll last and whether or not they're worth the money. All the electronic parts are nifty, but I'd worry about the cost if something broke.

I do love my cuisinart food processor, though thumbs_up.gif

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 16 Aug 2009 , 10:48pm
post #39 of 47

I have a cuisinart 7qt mixer, it came with an extra bowl and food processor. I love it!!!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 12:14am
post #40 of 47

i cant find it with an extra bowl?!?!? those are like $100~!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:14am
post #41 of 47

Well, I found out that Bed Bath and Beyond carries the 7qt, and with a 20% off coupon and possibly no sales tax (i might be driving through oregon) and no shipping, I think that I will get it there....

oh geeze!

BridgetBrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BridgetBrina Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:29am
post #42 of 47

What I don't like about my Kitchen aid is the paddle is chipping. The beater gers black stuff on it, when you wipe at it...yikes......
I use to watch Emeril using a Viking and was wondering the very thing you asked. How many have Viking and don't like it?

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 3:46am
post #43 of 47

rocketgirl899 I got mine at Sears. It was on special with the bonus of the extra bowl and food processor. I can make a triple batch of Sugarshacks icing in it! Gotta love that.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 17 Aug 2009 , 7:19am
post #44 of 47

A triple batch of Sugarshack?!!!!!

Mind sharing the ratios?

I will check Sears!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 28 Aug 2009 , 6:56am
post #45 of 47

Well I bought the 7qt Cuisinart from Bed Bath and Beyond. $319 with 20% off coupon and a rebate for a free food possessor.

I havent got to use it yet. icon_sad.gif

But I already know I am going to love it.

sleepy33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sleepy33 Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 1:00am
post #46 of 47

Rocketgirl, I got the 7qt Cuisinart as a wedding gift, it is the BEST!! You will be so pleased with it. Anyone else in the market for a mixer, I can't say enough good things about my Cuisinart. I use it all day, every day, and I wouldn't change a thing about it. And I LOVE the timer; I can set it and go prep ingredients, wash up, whatever, and not have that 'oh crap...exactly how long have I been away from the mixer?' moment. I love it so much it's practically a member of the family; I named it Maude and my mom has already let me know that it WILL be traveling to her house for our annual Christmas cookie baking marathon! icon_smile.gif

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 31 Aug 2009 , 2:20am
post #47 of 47

I just got my 7 qt Viking last week and haven't gotten to use it yet. I can't wait to try it out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%