Attaching Ribbon To Cake?

Decorating By Madiken Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 7:04am by WeddingCakeEnchantress

Madiken Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:20am
post #1 of 10

I need to attach a ribbon border to the bottom of each tier of a cake. The cake is iced in buttercream. How do I do this?

9 replies
Yankie Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:30am
post #2 of 10

I posted the same question earlier..I hope you get a response..because I need to know too. BUMP!

ayerim979 Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:42am
post #3 of 10

Theres definately another threat about this , that I read yesterday. After you make sure that the ribbon wont bleed the color into you cake you just wrap it around your cake and glue it with a little RI. There are several techniques you can use .

Here is the threat you might wanna take a look hopefully you will find an aswer for your question.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633311-ribbon.html

Good luck !!!

josumiko Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:47am
post #4 of 10

I just did this a few weeks ago...i just wrapped it around and secured the ends with a dab more buttercream. Also, I was worried about grease spots, so I took someone elses advice and put clear contact paper on the back of the ribbon before attaching. It worked great...a little time consuming, but not as bad as i thought that it would be.

__Jamie__ Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:54am
post #5 of 10

I use the contact paper, one because it keeps the ribbon from getting grease spots and discoloring, and two, it gives it a nice stuff shape, so it doesn't get bumpy and squished looking where it does grab into the BC. If you put it on while the cake is nice and chilled, it just pops right on, nice and flat and perfectly even.

CakeDiva73 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:02am
post #6 of 10

So let me ask you this...... is it better to use fondant as the ribbon or fabric ribbon? I'm not sure where I got the idea that satin ribbons on cakes were a no-no? Because it was a non-edible? Or perhaps I am simply watching waaaaay too many Food Network Challenges, lol?

And I'm kinda bummed because I have a wedding cake for this weekend and they wanted a black satin ribbon and stupid me, I talked her into a fondant ribbon...... *pfft*

Bluehue Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:27am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

So let me ask you this...... is it better to use fondant as the ribbon or fabric ribbon?
Its a personnel preferance - or what the customer wants.
I'm not sure where I got the idea that satin ribbons on cakes were a no-no? Because it was a non-edible? Or perhaps I am simply watching waaaaay too many Food Network Challenges, lol?
LOL - perhaps icon_wink.gif - there is no hard and fast rule - well not over here anyway - just a matter of choice.

And I'm kinda bummed because I have a wedding cake for this weekend and they wanted a black satin ribbon and stupid me, I talked her into a fondant ribbon...... *pfft*

Oh dear - but just think how proud you will be when you have it on.
I cut my regalice/fondant/medium with a scapel and metal ruler - thus always getting straight lines.
Just let your fondant sit for about 5 minutes after rolling out to the desired length before cutting the *ribbon* that way it won't crinkle or *move* so much and will be firmer yet plyable to put around the cake.
But you probably already knew that - icon_redface.gif

Madiken Posted 28 May 2009 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks! I love this website! You are all so helpful.

CakeDiva73 Posted 28 May 2009 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

But you probably already knew that - icon_redface.gif[/b]

[/quote]

No m'aam, I most certainly did not know that!! But thank you so much for telling me because I am thinking this will make my life soooooo much easier. icon_smile.gif

WeddingCakeEnchantress Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:04am
post #10 of 10

Firstly there are two scenarios:-
1. Your cake is buttercream (wet) or 2. Your cake is pettinice fondant covered (dry)

(a) If wet you just can't use double satin ribbon as the oil from the buttercream just melts through. Use florist ribbon instead. It is impervious to water which is why florists use it. It is also called "curling ribbon". It comes in many colours and you can rip it making it narrower.
I really think a nice piped shell boarder in buttercream is beautiful. Otherwise you can add fondant ribbon. You can buy cutters on a roller so you are guaranteed to cut the width correctly. Just don't stretch it. Put a little gum paste setter in it like gum arabic to make it stronger or cool it slightly. Just make sure it is not too moist just mix in some more icing sugar if it is. You can colour it any way you like. I love to make cords and double or tripple twist them together. Wrap this around the buttercream.

(b) If dry you can use any ribbon you like you just have to be aware that humidity may make the ribbon stretch over night and it gets loose. This happens to cheaper ribbons. To attach decide first if there is to be an ornament or bow to cover the join. If there is then that is where you start. If not the join goes to the back of the cake. Start with two long dressmakers hat pins to hold the ribbon in place. Put them an inch away from where your start is. Under the back of the ribbon in your starting place put "double sided sticky tape" you can get it from art supply shops and it comes without the plastic just the gluey tape. Make sure your cake is not dusty with icing sugar otherwise it will fall off. Make sure it is dry too. Put those pins in and wrap around that ribbon until you are back where you started. Again, put the double tape on the underside of the ribbon making sure it is completely going down from the top to the bottom. For extra strength you can put two lines going east west along the top and bottom for an inch from the join.You can put an inch under each corner of a square cake or on a larger cake every so often along the ribbon. Cut the ribbon to the correct length along the edge of the double tape so that you end up with an unfrayed join line. Pull gently but firmly and pat into place. Remove the pins from the starting spot and you are done. If you are attaching a bow make a bow separately. Through the back of the bow thread through a piece of florist wire 4 inches long. Push the wire into the cake above the ribbon join to cover it. You may need to cover the wire in parafilm florist tape first depending upon the wire how comes.
Shopping listicon_sad.giftell your cake making supplier to stock these items)
1. double sided tape without plastic just the glue strip remove the paper
2. cutter on a roller
3. florist ribbon
4. 2 inch long hat pins with nice heads so you don't loose them in the cake
5. florist wire
6. parafilm (stretchy plastic that you wrap around wires)
7. gum arabic powder
I created a blog to help people with this sort of problem. I am Wedding Cake Enchantress.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%