Color Dilemma

Decorating By momba5 Updated 30 May 2009 , 3:59am by momba5

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:30am
post #1 of 16

I have a client that wants a wedding cake with purple, red and orange frosting!! I'm not feeling it at all. Any ideas?
Thanks! Momba5

15 replies
umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:34pm
post #2 of 16

WOW, those are some interesting colors!! Hmmm, all I can think of is....well...nothing at the moment. I can't get the thought ewww out of my head and how can those work together icon_eek.gif . There are such fabulous decoraters on this site I'm sure someone will have a wonderful idea on how to incorporate those three colors. Sorry I can't be much help! I keep thinking purple as the base though. If you made either the red or orange the base, I would think that the other (either red or orange) would clash. Purple base, red roses....orange...not quite sure. SORRY! icon_surprised.gif

tiggerjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggerjo Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 16

my thoughts are gerber daisies in those three colors with a light green background and moss colored leaves. i actually seen this in a flower garden and it was stunning. a few white daisies mixed in would break it up a little.

umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 16

Maybe you can get some ideas from these pics
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1225545.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1325913.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-93732.html
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1357051
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=411883
I love the marble look of the last one. These hopefully will give you a good idea of the colors and how they will look together. I guess they aren't THAT bad. You can do a search in the galleries to find more. HTH
Cara

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:52pm
post #5 of 16

I think those colours go really well together.

Does the bride have an idea of what she wants? Maybe you could ask her to do a white cake with those colours as accents???

good luck!!
LL
LL

umgrzfn Posted 28 May 2009 , 12:56pm
post #6 of 16

Those pics are just of purple and orange. Would she incorporate the red where the green is on the bottom pic? I like the red and orange marble look with purple accents.

cakes22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes22 Posted 28 May 2009 , 1:07pm
post #7 of 16

Since red is a more dominant colour, I would do less red and more purple and orange. I would have the red as accents. I guess it would depend on the shades of the colours. You could do pale colours and it would be less obtrusive or you could go with really vibrant colours. I think the best thing to do would get the bride to bring in a pic of what she wants, and colours swatches of the purple, red and orange. If the cake is going to be tiered you could do each tier in those colours and find a sheer ribbon with those colours (the kind that looks like it changes colour when moved) in it to go around the bottom & accent the cake with gerber daisies (they come in those colours) or another flower.

I donno ........... but going thru google pages of cakes with those colours made me dizzy!!!

anolan36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anolan36 Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:51pm
post #8 of 16

Just a thought....But an orange base with purple and red flower accents would be cute. Maybe using either the orange or the red for a ribbon around each base. Also if you could use maybe a yellow for flower centers would help tie all the colors in together. Also It may calm those other colors down...... Just a thought....

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:17pm
post #9 of 16

The problem with those colors are they are all strong, warm colors. You need a cool color, like blue or green to cut all that warmth or the cake will look like it's on fire, no matter how you do it.

I would do a pure white cake with very pale orange and very pale purple flowers that have darker orange and purple accents to the flowers themselves (think large pale orange flowers with deep purple and yellow detailed centers and large pale purple flowers with deeper orange and yellow detailed centers.

Around these flowers I would put sprays of white baby's breath and clusters of tiny red filler flowers. All of this should be filled out with LOTS of cool green (think sage, not yellowish or leaf green) In fact, I would make the vines/leaves be the main thing that winds around the cake, with the flowers being highlights, here and there, in the leaves.

momba5 Posted 28 May 2009 , 7:41pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks ladies for all the ideas! The pictures were fabulous, thanks for posting them. It gave me a hint of hope for a cake that won't look like a circus! The last problem is that she doesn't want any flowers on the cake, just deep colors, geometrical "chunky" designs! YIKES!

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 29 May 2009 , 11:18am
post #11 of 16

Couldn't help putting the colours into wedding design pro.... sorry the red is a bit pink, strangely there wasn't a red in the colour options... typical! I do feel for you though i have a wedding cake next week that I feel a bit uneasy about colour wise, not the colours themselves but the number of colours the bride wants me to include, (peach, pink, green, yellow brown) all on a 2 tier cake, I personally like simple designs and not just because they are easier to make! good luck on your cake would love to see it!
LL

momba5 Posted 29 May 2009 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 16

That is awesome! What is wedding design pro? Looks like something (else!) I need to invest in. Thanks for all your work making this design! It is amazing to me how many talented creative people there are out there so willing to help! Also I am just learning of the many resources on this site. Thanks again everyone for your help. Good luck with your cake and all the colors! I wish I had enough talent to help you with your color challenge.

anabelz01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anabelz01 Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:34pm
post #13 of 16

Hi ya momba5 Wedding Cake Design Pro is a program you can buy that lets you design different cakes, try out different colour co-ordinations etc its useful for putting sketches together for people ordering wedding cakes, its is quite good but there are a few things they need to improve on. But good for things like testing colours and its very quick to do too! To get a better idea visit the website... type in wedding cake design pro into google and i'm sure it will come up!

nicolesprinkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesprinkle Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:55pm
post #14 of 16
Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 29 May 2009 , 9:59pm
post #15 of 16

That was my idea as well, anabelz01...having each tier be one of the requested colors, and then I'd use a neutral color for the top to bottom design. Maybe cream, or gold leaves or flowers/roses. Seems too busy to me, personally, but for someone that is THE perfect color combo, isn't it? Takes all kinds, he?

Best of luck to you, momba5!! icon_biggrin.gif

momba5 Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:59am
post #16 of 16

Thanks everyone! I especially loved the first picture. That gave me a little inspiration. I'll try to post a picture when I get the cake done...not until Nov. so I still have time to mull it over! Thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%