Bake Even Strips - Add Velcro???

Decorating By lngo Updated 31 May 2009 , 7:47pm by kendraskitchen

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 28 May 2009 , 4:49am
post #1 of 15

I was wondering if anyone's tried sewing velcro strips to their Wilton bake even strips? Since there are some comparable strips with velcro, it must be ok, right? Or is there a certain kind of velcro that I'd have to buy? Just tossing that out there in case anyone has any ideas.

14 replies
cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:03am
post #2 of 15

I have never done it, but have often wondered about it. I was thinking that Wilton should add velcro like another brand, and I wouldn't be sticking my fingers trying to get it on a cake!

mrscromer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrscromer Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:03am
post #3 of 15

Not sure. But I do have both of them I love the velcro. Workings wonderfully. Never really thought about sewing velcro on myself. I guess you can try and let us know. If I find out I'll the same and let you know.

jennicita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicita Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:03am
post #4 of 15

No! The only velcro I'm familiar with is made out of plastic (one side) which would melt in the oven! I think you'd end up with a noxious mess and it would be a waste of cake (which would have been baking in plastic fumes).

I can imagine that heat-resistant velcro might exist somewhere but since there's probably little market for it, I doubt you'd find it at a regular store.

Not to say it wouldn't be nice and I haven't wished for something like that, too. But velcro isn't the way to go. I was thinking about medical supplies. You know those ace bandages? At least I think that's what they're called...the elastic ones that are a couple/few yards long. I think some of them have little metal closures with teeth, don't they? I just don't know if they'd work for this kind of application.

Any other ideas out there???

DreamInCake11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamInCake11 Posted 28 May 2009 , 5:11am
post #5 of 15

I've used those black binder clips that you find at office supply stores. They work great, never melted, no smell, and are much easier than those terrible t pins things that come with the Wilton strips.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:27am
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamInCake11

I've used those black binder clips that you find at office supply stores. They work great, never melted, no smell, and are much easier than those terrible t pins things that come with the Wilton strips.

Ditto!

This is what they look like in case someone needs a visual picture. I only picked this link for the pick (the price is actually for 60 of them).

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&partNumber=378813&cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Office_Supplies_%253E_Binder_Clips,_Paper_Clips_and_Push_Pins_-_-378813-15339-CC&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=378813

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 28 May 2009 , 6:36am
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

Ditto!

This is what they look like in case someone needs a visual picture. I only picked this link for the pick (the price is actually for 60 of them).

http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/StaplesProductDisplay?&storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&partNumber=378813&cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Shopping-_-Office_Supplies_%253E_Binder_Clips,_Paper_Clips_and_Push_Pins_-_-378813-15339-CC&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=378813

Those are what I use too!!!!! I love them! they work great!!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 28 May 2009 , 11:43am
post #8 of 15

I just take safety pins and pin them together. It works for me!

lngo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lngo Posted 29 May 2009 , 4:12am
post #9 of 15

I love all the great ideas. I never thought to use black binder clips. I have tons of those! Velcro with fabric backing is available, but the binder clips sound a lot easier to use (no sewing involved). I'm very clumsy, so I appreciate everyone's input which will make my life easier. CC'ers are da bomb diggitty!

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 30 May 2009 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 15

I was just saying last night night how much I hate the pins because I keep loosing them. Well I have a ton of binder cilps that will have a new home! Thanks for the suggestion. This is why I love this site so much!!!!!

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:38pm
post #11 of 15

I was just saying last night night how much I hate the pins because I keep loosing them. Well I have a ton of binder cilps that will have a new home! Thanks for the suggestion. This is why I love this sight so much!!!!!

klat7292 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klat7292 Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:50pm
post #12 of 15
Quote:

OK! Y'all must have ALL been reading my mind!! I can't seem to keep the strips on square pans...(which lately is all that I've been doing! icon_rolleyes.gif ) DreaminCake...can you tell me exactly how do you do that? I've thought about it, but I was wondering about any part of the binder clip coming into contact with the baking cake and wouldn't it make some sort of impression on the side of the cake? icon_rolleyes.gif ...thanks so much for the info!! I LOVE this site thumbs_up.gif

P.S. I also use 1-2 Wilton flower nails in the bottom of the pan (under my wax paper lining) to distribute the heat...a LOT easier than using a heating core...I didn't like that experience...just a little tidbit that I learned from another caker friend icon_biggrin.gif

What about the fabric velco? I've thought about that too...where could I find that? TIA

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 30 May 2009 , 5:07pm
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstitcher

Quote:

Ditto!

Excellent idea! I have a box of extra T-pins I bought at the fabric store. They are bigger and easier for me to handle, and if I lose one or two, it's not a problem. They didn't cost very much and I have had the box for a couple of years!

Happy Baking!! Sandi

mellee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellee Posted 31 May 2009 , 12:06am
post #14 of 15

And the plastic on the binder clips doesn't melt or get funky? Good to know! Thank you! icon_smile.gif

kendraskitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kendraskitchen Posted 31 May 2009 , 7:47pm
post #15 of 15

I have both the velcro and the non velcro strips and personally like them both for different reasons. The velcro is great if you are using it for 1 pan but if I need to fit 2 around my 10x10 square pan or a larger pan, 1 strip doesn't fit and when I put 2 of the velcro strips around it, the velcros don't line up so I end up using a paper clip to keep them together. Love the idea of the binder clip - lots of those around the house too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%